Went door knocking yesterday!

Just arrived in louisiana yesterday there are a million and 1 companies down here but everybody wants experience. I must have went to every company on 308! Anybody no of companies that are hiring right now for entrylevel. I have twic mmd and stcw. Getting ready to pound the pavement again! PS. The people down here are real nice

Do not give up, keep at it!! There is a job there somewhere. GOOD LUCK!!!

Oh. That’s not good. You are about the 3rd OS I’ve read about that can’t find work even in LA. I’m sure there are tons of Jobs for entry level OSs. But I bet they go to friends and family members of those already connected at that employer. I believe that even when the economy turns around, OS outlook will not change. And besides, who really wants to hire an OS / Entry Level when there are scores of out-of-work seasoned ABs ready to step in. Hope I didn’t sound like gloom and doom. Just stating what I’ve observed thus far.

But don’t give up. There are two possible outcomes. The outcome that turns into reality, will be the one you want to observe. The other outcome will be a new timeline in an alternate universe. No…really. I didn’t intend that as a joke.

Maybe there will be openings when the Academies go back to school.

[QUOTE=Xavier6162;75939]Oh. That’s not good. You are about the 3rd OS I’ve read about that can’t find work even in LA. I’m sure there are tons of Jobs for entry level OSs. But I bet they go to friends and family members of those already connected at that employer. I believe that even when the economy turns around, OS outlook will not change. And besides, who really wants to hire an OS / Entry Level when there are scores of out-of-work seasoned ABs ready to step in. Hope I didn’t sound like gloom and doom. Just stating what I’ve observed thus far.

But don’t give up. There are two possible outcomes. The outcome that turns into reality, will be the one you want to observe. The other outcome will be a new timeline in an alternate universe. No…really. I didn’t intend that as a joke.

Maybe there will be openings when the Academies go back to school.[/QUOTE]

That’s utter BULLSHIT

I was just there last week. I heard from Ms. Laverne at Chouest that I should try back in late August when school goes back because the cadets have all of the OS jobs. Told by a friend that ABs for Chouest that cadets work in the bridge so he doesn’t understand what she’s talking about.

Our cadets are doing 4 hrs on deck, 4 hrs wheelhouse and 4hrs to work on their school projects.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;75947]That’s utter BULLSHIT[/QUOTE]

Which part?

I’m going with the fact that he says hit every company on 308. I know for a fact that is impossible if you wait to talk to somebody in HR.

If you’re just running in and dropping an app of then of course toured not going to get hired. Also don’t limit yourself to big boat companies I’ve seen plenty of orange hard hats running around Fourchon this week on crew and utility boats.

Found my first boat job today I cant believe it. Alot of no were not hiring but somthen finally came thru! It really is about persistance

Score 1 for us OS’s.

See ya did it!!! Congrats! Where did ya get on???

hmmm congrats,man feels just the way i did when MSC welcomed me…and shortly there after kicked me to the curb, though the ladies working there were very outgoing and concderate towards my back-fire with MSC security. then again i felt that again when i was sitting in Tampa at UMG and got handed a employment acceptance letter… welcome to the club now the fun begins and the time to make a name for yourself! stick that foot in the door and jam that bitch open man!

Seacor! Any info on the company! oh and thank you guys for the congrats

Congratulations.
You made it happen.
Best wishes.

Congrats bro…

That’s a BS line by her to put applicants off for a while. cadets (while Cadet shipping) are specifically legally prohibited from filling a berth aboard any vessel. They are ‘in addition’ to the crew. I am sure some cheapo companies use them to fill the complement, but that is illegal.

Wow! Iearnt something new. Keep it coming mates. Info like this keeps me form sounding like a complete idiot in the future. Can’t claim what I said in the pass, I was an idiot. Well…still am… partially.

While this is true if they were using them to fill the COI, I’m sure they have the COI filled with normal crew which makes having the cadets as OS legal.

[QUOTE=saltwater84;75991]Seacor! Any info on the company! oh and thank you guys for the congrats[/QUOTE]

How was their physical and what did they make you do for it? Congrats on the job

[QUOTE=saltwater84;75991]Seacor! Any info on the company! oh and thank you guys for the congrats[/QUOTE]

Cool, I thought Willard was a really good guy. I liked the company but the $0.00 travel was the catch for me.

Work hard and you’ll be fine!