Vessel Specific Licenses

Aloha,

I work on an unlimited tonnage vessel that has officers with “vessel specific” licenses. The officers have limited licenses but were granted (issued by the USCG) chief mate, chief engineer and master’s licenses to used only on a specific vessel. I have searched for vessel specific licenses on both this forum and in the CFRs. I have not been able to find out much about this type of license. Is there a CFR, NVIC, or other form of rule that define a vessel specific license? Do these licenses apply when sailing foreign? Will these licenses go away with the upcoming alignment with International rules? Does a vessel specific license expire or will it be renewed along with standard endorsements?

Thank you in advance for any information or comments.

[QUOTE=transpacsail;181441]Aloha,

I work on an unlimited tonnage vessel that has officers with “vessel specific” licenses. The officers have limited licenses but were granted (issued by the USCG) chief mate, chief engineer and master’s licenses to used only on a specific vessel. I have searched for vessel specific licenses on both this forum and in the CFRs. I have not been able to find out much about this type of license. Is there a CFR, NVIC, or other form of rule that define a vessel specific license? Do these licenses apply when sailing foreign? Will these licenses go away with the upcoming alignment with International rules? Does a vessel specific license expire or will it be renewed along with standard endorsements?

Thank you in advance for any information or comments.[/QUOTE]

marine safety manual

[QUOTE=lm1883;181443]Are you working TAGOS?[/QUOTE]

That was my first thought

[QUOTE=transpacsail;181441]Aloha, I work on an unlimited tonnage vessel that has officers with “vessel specific” licenses. The officers have limited licenses but were granted (issued by the USCG) chief mate, chief engineer and master’s licenses to used only on a specific vessel. I have searched for vessel specific licenses on both this forum and in the CFRs. I have not been able to find out much about this type of license. Is there a CFR, NVIC, or other form of rule that define a vessel specific license? Do these licenses apply when sailing foreign? Will these licenses go away with the upcoming alignment with International rules? Does a vessel specific license expire or will it be renewed along with standard endorsements? Thank you in advance for any information or comments.[/QUOTE]
See 46 CFR 11.201(l).