USCG Ice breakers

So you and a few million others BELIEVE that they don’t have a right of asylum, without any form of legal procedure as required by US Law. What happened to “Rule of Law”, or doesn’t that apply to non-Americans??
It has been US policy for a long time to pester others about human rights and Rule of Law, but when a few thousand wretched souls shows up on your border and ask for those same rights, it no longer apply?? There is a name for that, I BELIEVE.

We can politely ask Mexico if they could ship them your way.

Most Americans believe in the Rule of Law you don’t have any idea what’s going on with these people or how they got accost Mexico and why they chose the boarder crossing they did.

What does this have to do with Ice Breakers anyway?

Now back to US Icebreakers:
The ice breaking LNG carriers now in service and being built for the Yamal project costs USD 260 mill. each.

OK they don’t have all the bells and whistles required for a USCG heavy icebreaker, but they are fairly large, complex and capable vessels and cost abt 1/4 of the estimated cost for the USCG projected vessels. (Not sure if that incl. the cost of armament, helicopters etc.)
I know that even suggesting that they could be built at foreign yards is like swearing in church, but does the jobs and other benefits from building in US justify the extra costs for US taxpayers?
Could it be an idea to at least making an effort to compare the two to get the facts on the table?? (The savings could be used to built a few miles of that big beautiful wall)

I and much of the rest of the world have been able to watch the progress of this caravan and heard the shrill comments from certain parties, just like you and most Americans have.

Unless you were one of those reporters or volunteers that travelled with the caravan, how do you know??
I doubt that you can gain any more knowledge of the accrual situation just by living somewhere in USA, watching the same US news reports that we can see.
We have the advantage of having impartial reporting from sources like BBC, Al Jazeera and others.

I see you are unable to stick to the topic at hand more than one post. Migrants who are apprehended or unable to enter the US legally can claim “credible fear” in order to get a hearing before an immigration court.

The Homeland Security Department tracks cases in which a decision to grant a hearing has been made, which differs only slightly from the number of all claims made. In 2007, 5,171 people claimed credible fear and had their cases reviewed. In 2016, it was 91,786. That represents a 1,675 percent hike.

Between 60 and 80 percent of those cases were approved for further court review. Overall, 20 percent of applicants were ultimately granted asylum in fiscal year 2017, according to the Homeland Security Department.

So, yes, we do have a law that was written to accommodate these migrants. But it is unfortunate if people take advantage of the law.

So now you know all about me your statement is so contrary to the crap you usually spout i’m shocked.

Americans have the advantage of impartial reporting also from all the sources you quote, also being a neighbor of Mexico may have some better insight as too what is actually happening. Not what reporters being paid to report. So why don’t you ask your Mexican friends what’s up pick up the phone and have a conversation you may be surprised everything isn’t always as it appears.

AGAIN WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH ICE BREAKERS?

Ninety five percent of the people crossing the southern border are Economic Migrants who are crossing to make more money and get free economic benefits in the US. There are a lot of criminals. There are damn few legitimate refugees.

A lot of migrants become drug mules to pay for help crossing the border. They become criminals working for drug cartels before they cross the border. All migrants crossing illegally are criminals and should be treated as such.

Legitimate refugees must present themselves at customs and immigration and request asylum. The idea that they can violate US by crossing illegally, and then claim asylum as a defense to deportation is ridiculous.

Sorry if my posting an article from Arctic Today side tracked this thread. There were several comments before I came in.

I believe the people in the infamous “Caravan” did, or is still trying to, enter USA through legal crossing points to apply for asylum in accordance with the law.

Those who climb over the wall that is already in place, crawl under it, or swim around it to enter illegally becomes illegal migrants. They loose their rights to asylum and should be deported.

The law abiding ones who are being hindered from enter US territory through legal channels are being denied they rights according to both US Law and UNHCR Convention.

Again, there is a difference between asylum seekers and illegal immigrant.

The legitimate asylum seekers presenting themselves at official points of entry are being considered. But since Mexico has offered to provide them with asylum, they do not need it in the US.

Something like 1/3 of the World population , 2 billion people, wants to come to the US. We cannot take them all.