USCG Announces Dynamic positioning training certification programs

IMCA M 117 Rev. 1
http://www.imca-int.com/(F(Ym2Zn8BWOMA3LK5wopjRWkm4fvXj6USHPUaPVAZFduqm0lCjPfFc51a2r_XsE7gpgl1IohXSIDPVzChi1x_X925Ifj_kybos0EPGQlQVZtEGFKa1UUpJEz3SjRVx8Sop2rpJHDhs9-E6ZQucdFsiVCgm6_2eZ54gZE2ntI227Eg1))/media/73073/imcam117.pdf

6.4 Junior DPO
6.4.1 Definition
A junior DPO is defined in these guidelines as a trained DP operator meeting the
competence requirements outlined in 6.4.2 and who has completed training to a minimum of
Phase 3 as defined by the NI. The junior DPO should be supervised while on watch by an
SDPO.
Competence for navigational watches is covered by the STCW Code. Further guidance is
available in IMCA C 002.
6.4.2 Knowledge and Experience
A junior DPO’s knowledge and experience should include:
 controlling the vessel using manual and joystick controls;
 changing operational modes between auto DP to joystick to manual controls to autopilot
and vice versa;
 principles and planning of DP operations;
 basic knowledge of the practical operation of DP control system, including changing
between systems and the various modes of operation;
 knowledge and use of reference systems and other peripheral equipment;
 system redundancy, alarms and warnings;
 knowledge of vessel systems and their limitations;
 knowledge of DP alarm sequences and communications with reference to operational
condition;
 knowledge of the vessel’s operations manuals and communications system;
 knowledge of the vessel’s FMEA and its implications;
 training on any other systems relevant to the DP that they are responsible for.
If Junior DPOs do not have to also keep the navigational watch then they need not have a
navigational watchkeeping qualification to an approved STCW convention standard.
(This enables engineers and EMS to be DPOs).

Thanks Kraken, I am a Junior DPO then. I’m not looking foward to tackling the Alexis Platform after I log 19 more days.

The guides they have published are very helpful. Identify which one applies to you, then download and print out the application guide for handy reference while filling out all the stuff on the nialexis website. Take your time and be meticulous.

[QUOTE=Chopshopscotty;188735]Thanks Kraken, I am a Junior DPO then. I’m not looking foward to tackling the Alexis Platform after I log 19 more days.[/QUOTE]
I’m in the process of logging all my info into alexis, just take your time and it will be easy. Had a problem with registration of my logbook but a e-post to NI and it was solved the next day.

And you will have to send your NI logbook away so I would have got me a IMCA logbook to keep track of DP time if I was you.
http://www.imca-int.com/about-imca/logbooks-homepage.aspx

Good stuff, thanks Kraken and Flyer.

Rolls-Royce Marine makes their own DP system: http://www.rolls-royce.com/products-and-services/marine/product-finder/automation-and-control/positioning-and-manoeuvering/icon-dynamic-positioning-control.aspx#section-product-search

I have seen it on a few vessels. I was told by the DPOs that it is very reliable, easy to understand and use, but not been on any DP Trial using this system yet.

It is also part of their Unified Bridge System: www.rolls-royce.com/~/media/Files/R/Rolls-Royce/.../automation-control.pdf

I don’t know if it has been installed on any US flag vessel(s) yet?

The USCG tends to be “customer-oriented” when it comes to things like this.

The irony is it was the USCG that made life difficult for US mariners dealing with the NI due to the dodgy vessel classifications or none at all.
An issue totally confined to the USA

Lest YE’ not be condemned by the Brazilian prostitute! Make haste and alleviate yourself of the woman’s scornful ways.