US consumers wants clean transport

After reading the article I came away unimpressed. I would counter that the majority of Americans would follow their wallet. They may change their ways short term but ultimately will see things as a matter of cost. If costs were about the same it would be a matter of marketing one’s products as more “green”.

1 Like

Yup.

For all the green huffing and puffing, people ultimately follow their own self interest. When their cheap chinese shit goes up +10 percent on amazon and walmart, they’ll change their mind.

And nobody follows what company is green or not; whether it’s ethically made. Otherwise they wouldn’t be posting on twitter with their 1500 macbooks and 1000 iphones about the environment and company ethics.

Again a poll shows what we know is not true. People want to seem virtuous but when it actually comes to them paying out of their own pocket, they don’t do it.

How many people pay extra to cover their carbon costs when flying? How many asking for more government expenditure actually want to contribute? How many prefer intermittent power to continuous whilst saying they want more renewables?

Your title should read “US consumers prefer cheap transport”.

I’m sure you can also poll a group of people and ask if they like puppies. I would expect that a majority would say yes. That doesn’t mean that those people will now go to an animal shelter to adopt a puppy just because you asked them a question. For the most part, polls are useless if it drives a future choice over opinion. Particularly, if that choice isn’t one in front of them at the time. When you have a comparative choice, the market will certainly sort that one.

I agree. I also thought that sounded out of character for American consumers.

Bugge - it’s interesting you agree with Anchorman’s post that accurately sums up the lack of accuracy in polling, after your initial post which ties US consumers to a poll which is far from factual, as both Chief_Seadog and Jughead spell out quite well. Polls are too often no more believable than “commercial” science or “science for sale”. Follow the money and those funding a particular agenda.

I agree with him that it is surprising if a majority of Americans put future environmental consideration before immediate gratification in the form of lower prices. ($$$)

The inaccuracy of polling is NOT surprising. That has been amply demonstrated in the last two Presidential elections.