Unlimited Masters license

In short, it is entirely possible to start at OS and work your way to Unlimited Master. I DO NOT currently hold an Unlimited Masters License but I have worked my way up from OS to a 3rd Mate Unlimited. In two more hitches, I will have the sea-time to submit for my 2nd Mate Unlimited and 1600 Ton Master which from there I plan on continuing to attain my Unlimited Master.

I am 28 years old and have spent 6 years on vessels. I began and continued in the GOM, so that is my only experience. With that being said, no matter what license I hold, I will not be able to immediately transfer to bluewater since I have no experience in other markets. No matter what license you hold you will not be able to just jump into an unknown or unfamiliar field.

This industry is like most others, you can work your way up with dedication and effort, you must also know your specific field.

Just my overview, I do not have any vast experience or knowledge that another individual on here lacks. If I can do it starting from OS, so can most anyone as long as you do not eat the crayon you test with…

[QUOTE=tugsailor;177935]It’s more possible than it use to be, but it’s still pretty damn difficult to break out of limited tonnage vessels.

Very Difficult to get a union job on an unlimited tonnage ship. The unions control damn near all of the big ships. Workboat Academy is not the track to deep sea employment.

When the oil patch recovers, there will be some jobs on OSVs over 1600 GRT. Yes, it’s possible down in the bayou.[/QUOTE]

That’s like saying you can’t send your kid to school because the schools are controled by the school board. Every human organization is controlled by someone in some way.

I worked my way up from washing pots and pans (one step below washing dishes) on a Coast Guard Cutter to U/L Master. The union path has the advantage of being hawsepipe friendly. In the union if you’ve got the ticket and your number comes up, you go. No effing ring knocker looking down his nose at you while he reads your resume.

The resume is not required till that last step from C/M to Master. By then they know what you can do.

FYI, the USCG started recognizing combined tug/barge combined tonnage time effective Jan 1, 2015 I believe. It is only 50% of the time, but its a start.

[QUOTE=skip jiblet;178011]FYI, the USCG started recognizing combined tug/barge combined tonnage time effective Jan 1, 2015 I believe. It is only 50% of the time, but its a start.[/QUOTE]

Yes. I am using this new provision to obtain Second Mate “unlimited” limited to 2000 GRT.

[QUOTE=skip jiblet;178011]FYI, the USCG started recognizing combined tug/barge combined tonnage time effective Jan 1, 2015 I believe. It is only 50% of the time, but its a start.[/QUOTE]

They’ve been recognizing ATB combined tonnage for many years now.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=tugsailor;178012]Yes. I am using this new provision to obtain Second Mate “unlimited” limited to 2000 GRT.[/QUOTE]

There is nothing new about that and you don’t need barge tonnage to do it either.

Yes so if I recall correctly they give you 1.5x the maximum tonnages oh worked on %25 of the time rounded up to the nearest thousand so mine would theoretically be over 11,000 but they don’t do limited over 10,000? How does the tug/barge thing factor into that?

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;178026]They’ve been recognizing ATB combined tonnage for many years now.

• Updated - - -

There is nothing new about that and you don’t need barge tonnage to do it either.[/QUOTE]

Yes. That is a good point. I suppose someone could get the Master Inland AGT with a 2000 GRT limitation and 2nd Mate unlimited with a 2000 GRT limitation just using 101 GRT seatime on any self propelled vessels.

The tug and barge combined tonnage is not new for ATBs, but its new for real tugboats that actually tow barges on the wire.

What is the point in getting Master Inland 2000 and 2nd Mate 2000, if you don’t intend to get the tonnage limitation removed?

How many US ships are there between 1601 GRT and 1999 GRT? Any?

[QUOTE=z-drive;178027]Yes so if I recall correctly they give you 1.5x the maximum tonnages oh worked on %25 of the time rounded up to the nearest thousand so mine would theoretically be over 11,000 but they don’t do limited over 10,000? How does the tug/barge thing factor into that?[/QUOTE]

Nobody knows. Because probably no one has ever done it before.

It appears, that if you can show 12 months of combined tug and barge seatime over 1601 GRT, plus 6 months of seatime on a ship over 1601 GRT, you would get Unlimited with no limitation.

But, if you start using the 150% multiplier rule, it appears that the USCG is probably going to screw you for many years to come with a successive series of small tonnage limitation increases up to 10,000 GRT, until you submit 12 months of combined tug and barge time over 6,700 GRT, plus six months of ship time over 6,700 GRT.

A license with a tonnage limitation of less than 4000 GRT would be nearly useless because there are so few US ships between 1601 and 4,000 GRT.

If I were a lot younger, I’d just look for a six month AB job on any ship over 10,000 GRT, even if it were a foreign flag ship at $1,000 a month.

(my original post was incomplete due to smart phone OE)

Having a 1600 mates license and an AB is not a waste of time. It’s a door opener. Trying to sail as an OS on an unlimited tonnage vessel would be a waste of time. Go through the program, get your credentials and make some contacts. Do a few hitches on a workboat, make some money, and get a feel for that side of the industry. Gain some experience, and some perspective. In the maritime world having the right credentials is nearly everything when job searching. Having the experience to back them up is the rest of it.

My advice is don’t waste time trying to ship out as an OS on an unlimited tonnage vessel. Why sit in a union hall hoping to get a gig when you could be spending that time gaining practical experience and earning some stamps for that little red book? If you can afford the WBA I say go for it. If your ultimate goal is unlimited master then a four year academy is a better option. As others have pointed out, you can work your way up from the bottom if you are motivated. I say, why start at the bottom? Get that education. Unlike many other academic programs/degrees this one will directly affect your career. This education is valuable.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;178029]Nobody knows. Because probably no one has ever done it before.

It appears, that if you can show 12 months of combined tug and barge seatime over 1601 GRT, plus 6 months of seatime on a ship over 1601 GRT, you would get Unlimited with no limitation.

But, if you start using the 150% multiplier rule, it appears that the USCG is probably going to screw you for many years to come with a successive series of small tonnage limitation increases up to 10,000 GRT, until you submit 12 months of combined tug and barge time over 6,700 GRT, plus six months of ship time over 6,700 GRT.

A license with a tonnage limitation of less than 4000 GRT would be nearly useless because there are so few US ships between 1601 and 4,000 GRT.

If I were a lot younger, I’d just look for a six month AB job on any ship over 10,000 GRT, even if it were a foreign flag ship at $1,000 a month.[/QUOTE]

I sailed with several ABs that earned their unlimited 3rds while sailing on ATBs. 4 of them made it to CM. 2 I know made it to UL Master. One told me they had to quit the ATBs and sail CM on a vessel that actually listed CM on the COI. ATBs under 1600 ton only list “mate”.

Luckily the CG has clarified chief mate time so that’s no longer the case (if it ever TRULY was). I think it’s possible in some cases but you’ll have to be educate and make your arguments correctly.

[QUOTE=Oil_Is_Evil;178004]C Ransom Walrod, hell of a boat driver/stuntman/coordinator. He made that landing from down below with his wife Patti giving instructions from on deck. Worked for Ransom/Patti for about 5 years driving stunt/camera/safety boats.[/QUOTE]

WHAT! Are you trying to tell me that Curt Russell is not really Captain Ron and an unlimited tonnage master who has flying moored the “Mighty Sara”? BLASPHEMY I SAY!

[QUOTE=tugsailor;178029]It appears, that if you can show 12 months of combined tug and barge seatime over 1601 GRT, plus 6 months of seatime on a ship over 1601 GRT, you would get Unlimited with no limitation.[/QUOTE]

You would only need 3 months on a ship. The combined tug and barge time is good for half of the required Unlimited tonnage time, which is 6 months.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;178028]Yes. That is a good point. I suppose someone could get the Master Inland AGT with a 2000 GRT limitation and 2nd Mate unlimited with a 2000 GRT limitation just using 101 GRT seatime on any self propelled vessels.[/QUOTE]

Yes it’s possible. I know because I did it.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;178028]The tug and barge combined tonnage is not new for ATBs, but its new for real tugboats that actually tow barges on the wire.[/QUOTE]

I either forgot or didn’t get the memo about wire boats being able to use combined tonnage. What the new rule did was clarify that ATBs qualified for it when the original rule was intended for ITBs (“rigidly” connected).

[QUOTE=tugsailor;178028]What is the point in getting Master Inland 2000 and 2nd Mate 2000, if you don’t intend to get the tonnage limitation removed?[/QUOTE]

To have everything you can possibly get because you never know? I guess if you’re old enough you’re sure you’ll never use it then that’s one thing but for anyone under 50 or so why not? You never know where you’re going to be in 10 years…

Well said Shipmate. Well said.

[QUOTE=c.captain;178038]WHAT! Are you trying to tell me that Curt Russell is not really Captain Ron and an unlimited tonnage master who has flying moored the “Mighty Sara”? BLASPHEMY I SAY![/QUOTE]

What up with putting the engine full astern and then the wheel hard left and the boat turning like that? Seems like the stern should have walked to port regardless of where the wheel was. Did that boat have a left-handed prop or is it movie magic?

Maybe the torque of the engine arrested the swing created by the big rudder on those boats. Either way looks like there was some cushioning hiding under the dock near the bow. I recall Rodney Dangerfield doing a similar maneuver? Not sure why it’s so funny but it is.

[QUOTE=Nelson Delmar;178063]Maybe the torque of the engine arrested the swing created by the big rudder on those boats. Either way looks like there was some cushioning hiding under the dock near the bow. I recall Rodney Dangerfield doing a similar maneuver? Not sure why it’s so funny but it is.[/QUOTE]

You’re going to pay me back by ruining that scene in the Dangerfield movie?

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;178064]You’re going to pay me back by ruining that scene in the Dangerfield movie?[/QUOTE]

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=Nelson Delmar;178115]https://youtu.be/Zp7QoR8vMW8

• Updated - - -

https://youtu.be/9qHdPhkSSNQ[/QUOTE]
Thanks, great way to start the week!

[QUOTE=c.captain;177903]oh DEAR GOD! Not again?

Here’s my answer…go to the GoM and get to be a large OSV master before you are 25 then you can march into the REC in Mandeville and DEMAND your UL master’s license you are ENTITLED TO![/QUOTE]

Uhhh…I’m pretty sure it doesn’t work like that.