"Unions" yea or nay?

FIRST - - - I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THEM…

I’ve always lived and worked in “right to work” states.

My question - any better odds of getting a job, or just getting a lighter wallet??

I’ve heard some of you here saying that north jobs pay more, others say south jobs pay more.

Search the forum and do a lot of reading. There are many discussions on this topic already.

[QUOTE=Rebel_Rider1969;71992]FIRST - - - I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THEM…

I’ve always lived and worked in “right to work” states.

My question - any better odds of getting a job, or just getting a lighter wallet??

I’ve heard some of you here saying that north jobs pay more, others say south jobs pay more.[/QUOTE]

Any job pays better than no job…

something to do until you get a permanent job

I have lived and worked in a “right to work state”, yet had to join a union to get and keep my sailing job. . . . . It was a Crowley thing.

Just spoke to the SIU hall in Aligondk, MI or somesuch…near detroit

$300 physical and drug test, no the USCG one I got 3 months ago does not qual.

App and Physical = “C” card - A’s and B’s get work first. I was advised it “takes awhile to get a job” at the C level.

YOU HAVE TO PHYSICALLY BE IN THE HALL TO APPLY/GET JOB. WHEN IT’S OPEN …502 MILES AWAY…

So for me this is not an option…back to the grind.

Yeah, I went to the SIU hall 5 years ago and I paid the $300.00 for a physical and drug test & X Ray’s also for my passport paid another $140
all the while I was broke…
It takes about three months to ship out as a “C” card, and if a job actually comes into the hall it is usually a supply position or worse …(wiper),
I gave up on the union eventually, I could not afford the housing while waiting…
and you need to be there every day but Sunday…
my advice is don’t waste your time unless you are at least an AB with RFPNW & STCW-95

Tony

[QUOTE=Rebel_Rider1969;72051]Just spoke to the SIU hall in Aligondk, MI or somesuch…near detroit

$300 physical and drug test, no the USCG one I got 3 months ago does not qual.

App and Physical = “C” card - A’s and B’s get work first. I was advised it “takes awhile to get a job” at the C level.

YOU HAVE TO PHYSICALLY BE IN THE HALL TO APPLY/GET JOB. WHEN IT’S OPEN …502 MILES AWAY…

So for me this is not an option…back to the grind.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Bouchard Captain;72133]
my advice is don’t waste your time unless you are at least an AB with RFPNW & STCW-95

Tony[/QUOTE]

Iam actually, AB-Limited also have Lifeboatman, lol fat lot of good all these papers do…no recent deck time = no job… I think.

I busted my butt and spent all my “petty cash” +3k to get this S&H Greenstamp book.

Relax. You’ve only been looking for a job for a few days. Are you even going door to door?

If I were you I would head straight to new Orleans and hit every company around there and the west bank,grab a times picayune newspaper also, then I would head strait to raceland and work your way south on bayou lafourche,pick up a lafourche gazette in larose.then I would head strait to Houma and pick up a Houma courier,you can get that paper at the trucks stops in raceland.beetween bayou lafourche , Houma,and new Orleans I would say the chance of you landing a job is 90 percent giving it a week or 10 days

There is a motel in marrero which is on the west bank across from new Orleans called the luxury inn,trust me it does not live up to its name but it is 180 per week no deposit required.in Houma you have the sugar bowl motel,the lake houma inn and Herbert’s motel,all around the 190-240 per week range. This is if you want to do it on the cheap

Sorry Guys, off on a rip yesterday. Had a good lead that fell thru.Looks like the best way is to bite the bullet and go door to door. Dammit. More $$$. But on the brightside one job will make it back up. Those of you that gamble know that felling you get when having a bad day and your down to the"Emercency $50" tucked in your wallet? That’s the feeling I have now.