UKOOA Physical. What good is it?

I just took one today, and I’m wondering if this is a credential to add to the resume, or if it’s only good for where I am now like the pre-employment physical.

[QUOTE=HawsePiper;47512]I just took one today, and I’m wondering if this is a credential to add to the resume, or if it’s only good for where I am now like the pre-employment physical.[/QUOTE]

Good to have,but nothing for the resume. I mean, if a company wants you on a certain vessel with a certain flag, they’ll help you meet that requirement. If there is a job that requires that physical, I’m sure it’s good to have, but that alone on a resume just for the sake of being on the resume isn’t going to impress - it’s a physical…all mariners have to have one of some type, and that doesn’t go on resumes. Companies will require you to take some sort of physical anyway.

I just did the Norwegian version at a “Seaman’s Doctor” in Stavangar. Not worth much other than what I get from the Norwegian Maritime Directorate as far as a credential to sail on. Now that credential will go in the resume - not the physical.

Having a UKOOA Medical Cert. is almost mandatory to have for working on most European owned or managed vessels (or working in Europe). Many European companies seeking people for their vessels expect the candidates to already have the physical in hand to be considered. I had a shot at a very nice job about a year ago on a UK owned cable layer but in the end, not having that bloody certificate kaboshed the deal. The Europeans are pretty picky about these things I am afraid and if you want a shot at one of those jobs it is wise to have it, but having the UKOOA physical means absolutely nothing for a US company. Most likely they wouldn’t know what that was on your resume…obviously something foreign.

Another item that many European offshore companies want as well is a BOSIET (Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training) certificate which is very similar to BST but has HUET as part of the course. It has to be obtained from a UKOOA approved centre which is available in Houston at Petrofac there.

Hope this helps.

Taking BOSIET monday. Going to UK for a US company. I guess a more specific way of wording the question is do I get some piece of paper saying that I passed said physical so I ‘have it’ if needed again in the future?