Tracking Credentials

I thought I had seen some stuff about this on here but can’t seem to find it.

What does everyone do to track their credentials and keep tabs on when things need to be renewed, how much sea time you need, etc. Wading through the legalese it strikes me that someone out there has to have a better way.

Right now I know I need to get some leadership class and an ECDIS renewal before 2016.

I thought I heard that someone had built a website that kept track of the requirements. I don’t necessarily need something like that but some idea of a good system that works would be helpful.

[QUOTE=SgiobairOg;165561]I thought I had seen some stuff about this on here but can’t seem to find it.

What does everyone do to track their credentials and keep tabs on when things need to be renewed, how much sea time you need, etc. Wading through the legalese it strikes me that someone out there has to have a better way.

Right now I know I need to get some leadership class and an ECDIS renewal before 2016.

I thought I heard that someone had built a website that kept track of the requirements. I don’t necessarily need something like that but some idea of a good system that works would be helpful.[/QUOTE]

I use an Excel spreadsheet for keeping tabs on my sea time and documents. I keep the file on a thumb drive and update it as I get discharge papers or new documents. I also use the label maker at work to make big labels with the expiration dates and stick them to the cover of my MMC, TWIC and Passport.

The formula in Excel for telling you how many days you’ve got to go is easy.
For example, in cell A1 type in =today()
In cell A2 type in the date you want to know how far away it is (crew change day, document expiration day, etc).
In cell A3 type in =A2-A1

if A3 gives you a date back (usually in the early 1900s), you need to change the cell format from a date to a number (hit Ctrl and 1, then choose the format tab, then choose “number”)

Figuring sea time is slightly more complicated but follows the same basic steps as above.

I use a password manager called Dashlane. It has an I.D. section where I input all the relevant info for each credential including the expiration date. It notifies me months ahead of time when one of them is expiring soon and it syncs automatically between all my electronic devices.

I swear I recall that someone had made a site to do this back in 2015 as well but can’t seem to find any reference to it or even its name. I actually thought they had run an advertisement on here…

Anyways - I started doing a bit of programming in between trips deep sea and put together a tracker. The site looks pretty legit & talks about a ‘premium’ members but thats bs really - I havent actually bothered adding a paywall or anything like that because honestly I’d rather just have people use it completely and get feedback to make it better.

It tracks expirations on certificates and also serves as a digital binder so you can send certs off or produce a copy whenever needed. I also made it to separately track discharges so you can see how much time on a given ship or in a given rank, plus export the files for submitting to coast guard for upgrades and such.

My biggest complaint with it right now honestly is that it is just a little slow. I haven’t figured out how to keep all the functionality and keep it super fast… but hey live and learn.

for those interested… https://mcbroker.co

mcbroker%20screenshot

What I do every time I rejoin my ship. Pull out all the documents and class certifications and go page by page checking them against my spreadsheet.

Good old fashioned due diligence. Electronic aids are nice but the proof is on the many reams of paper I carry around year after year.

Whenever I started a Class Survey, even an Annual, the first place I would go to is the documentation. Even now, when I have those rare marine claims, I also look to sight the original documentation, checking certificate validity and endorsements.