Towards zero emission shipping

Pollution, as in particles pollution, is a problem for a local area, unless it gets up into the stratosphere.
If it does it may cause global cooling by blocking sunlight from reaching the earth. (Or fall down on glaciers and sea ice, causing more heat absorption. ice melting and more global warming)

CO2 and Methane WILL reach the stratosphere, blocking reflection and causing the atmosphere and oceans to warm up.

PS>The two are often confused in people’s mind and in the media…

so VW was contributing to global cooling?

Has VW reach the stratosphere? (I thought they stayed closer to ground)

if their 40x legal legal of particle pollution worldwide went up
If the cars were on LPG the world would be a better place re particle pollution and co2 from the exhaust.

These will not be Zero emission VLCCs, but a step in that direction.
VLCC with sails and air lubrication to be built at DSIC in Dalian for China Merchant Shipping (CMES):

The two has co-operated on innovative designs before and will do so in the future.

Of cause “everybody” knows that the Chinese cannot innovate, only copy stolen western designs and build cheap ships that will break down or “fall apart” within a few years.

Great news they are doing it but neither is a new idea.

Lots of tests done 10+ years ago with air cushions on displacement hulls, I wonder if any went ahead?
Air cushion on planing hulls ie stepped hulls is 100 years old and sailing a little older

You can find something wrong with a week of only Sundays.

give me a break if you said nice to see they are doing something, far enough but to add the world innovate was a long way from reality.

2012 Gcaptain
Japan’s Nippon Yusen Kaisha and two NYK Group companies, the Monohakobi Technology Institute (MTI) and NYK-Hinode Line Ltd., have completed two years of experiments on the air-lubrication systems installed on two of the group’s module carriers, Yamato and Yamatai, and resultantly confirmed an average 6 percent reduction in CO2 emissions during actual sea passage.

How about an non polluting anti foul system, the whole world would then sit up and applaud.
Communist countries are all about the collective, no room for individual thinkers hence they rarely have them.

I was referring to the headline in the linked article.
The last bit was sarcasm. (Aimed towards you though)

PS> Innovation isn’t necessarily doing something brand new, only applying older and well known methods differently.

1 Like

Yes innovation could be putting a tape player in a small box, Sony Walkman or a failed glue on a paper pad, Post it Notes or a small digital music player, Ipod, a sound card in a PC, Sound Blaster ( Singaporean invention) meanwhile over in China we have… many world breaking inventions before communism and after?
Innovation in a communist country is going to be hard to find.

Not only do ships create pollution and GHG emission directly, but port operations to support them do to.
In the Scheldt Delta they want to do something about it:

Major Container Shipping lines are preparing for 2050:

Wartsila like to be in the forefront of developing Zero emission ships.
In this case for the inland shipping market:

Hydrogen as fuel in power stations?
Yes it is coming. Maybe not entirely carbon free operation initially, but it is a beginning:

Yes I know you need steel and other metals to make gas turbines and cement to build the building it is housed in, so why bother.

PS> Wood is probably not suitable for this purpose, so better leave the trees growing, soaking up up the CO2 created from manufacturing the turbines and building the power station .

so we use renewable electricity to make hydrogen to put in a turbine to make electricity?

I dont knock power station builds as they last a very long time.

Yes that is right. What is wrong with that?

I personally think it would be better to produce the electricity by placing many relatively small fuel cells close to the consumers, rather than by turbines in large power stations and distributed by long overhead power lines.

power density and conversion loss, a tank of hfo is about the lightest smallest form of energy when stored. Anything else is going to fill up half the ship.
If you have electricity why change it?

What energy would you power the fuel cells from?
Yes the conversion rate of lng fuel cell to electricity beats a turbine I believe?

By hydrogen made with renewable energy of course.

Hydrogen transported and stored on site in composite tanks:
https://www.hexagonraufoss.com/

I would think the only use is when the hydrogen is more power dense than a battery otherwise just make the car/truck/bus electric, thats cleaner and more efficient use of the power you started with.
I best the car makers can say is hydrogen pollutes less than petrol, sure so does lpg.
Liquid hydrogen energy density storage beats most things but huge energy to produce than and storage issues yet if thats all done with free electricity then on paper it works.

Hydrogen only produce water, no GHG or particle pollution, while petrol produce both.

PS> There is a difference between local Particle Pollution and GHG emission.