Torpedoed by the border wall

I guess the part that beat hillary in an election that was rigged in her favor…

3 Likes

Unemployment is around 4% Have your wages jumped up? I’d like to see everyone’s wages go up. We will never compete if companies are allowed to underpay people because of their immigration status.

Why shut down the government down then? Why declare the emergency now? Their best chance was when they had the house.

I can hear that dogwhistle from here. Let’s see how well Trump can play politics.

What part of the Cheeto getting beat by nearly 3 million votes was “rigged”?

Speaking of rigged elections, I see North Carolina has adopted the 3rd world model of ballot burial. The right wing silence about election fraud and voter suppression is deafening.

That would be a minority of the population, right? Though not a Hillary fan she did win the most votes, just lost the antiquated electoral vote .

Funny how the Constitution is “antiquated” or a “living breathing document” when it doesn’t fit the left’s narrative. The founding fathers knew exactly what they were doing with the electoral college.

2 Likes

Trump’s Alarming Abuse of Executive Power From “The American Conservative Magazine” - no liberal rag.

The only ‘national emergency’ is a president who violates the Constitution to get his way.

There may be worse executive power abuses than President Donald Trump’s declaration of a national emergency to build a wall on the Mexican border that Congress has steadfastly refused to fund. But if there are, they don’t readily come to mind.

Trump’s national emergency declaration is worse than the 59 others declared by presidents since 1976 because it was employed to usurp the express power of the purse—the most important congressional check on executive abuses.

And precisely what they hoped to avoid has come to pass.

Way past time to dump the system and go with a parliament. I would rather have a coalition than a wannabe dictator and his sycophants. We saw enough of the Cheeto’s ilk in the 20th century.

1 Like

I was speaking of Bernie getting the shaft during the primary. After all, the polls had hillary winning by a landslide.

I am neither leftist or rightist, I consider myself a realist.
By definition in a democracy the majority of the citizens should determine the winner of an election.

That’s why we are a constitutional republic.

4 Likes

Hillary and Trump both focused their campaign efforts on the electoral college vote. That’s what politicians must do to win. The popular voted doesn’t matter. They know that. Trump won. Hillary lost. End of story.

If the popular vote mattered, both Trump and Hillary would have focused their efforts on winning the popular vote.

That is why we need to get rid of the electoral college, corrupt campaign financing, endless campaigning, and the corrupt 2 party system.

Give government back to the people, the people’s vote has to matter. We need a parliament where coalitions can be formed and we don’t have to suffer the tyranny of an “election cycle” to rid ourselves of wannabe dictators, narcissistic sociopaths, and political criminals.

Very true. However, if one studies the history of voting in the USA one understands that the electoral college is an anachronism of the past when citizens could not even vote for their senators only house of representative members. Until 1913 senators were not even voted upon by the citizens but this changed by way of the 17th amendment. The electoral college is a left over which both parties use to keep themselves rather than the people in power.Until bribery [campaign contributions] is outlawed the USA will continue to devolve into an oligarchy which shall be its undoing, much like “Great” Britain 100 years ago.

With the track record of the people electing politicians in cities like NYC, Baltimore, Chicago, LA ect…, I DAMN sure don’t want their final say on the rest of us. The founding fathers saw this back then.

3 Likes

Sure they did, only white male landowners over 21 years of age were allowed to vote. When George Washington was elected only 6 percent of the American population was permitted to vote.

I am sure there are those in power now who are drooling to return to those good old days. Unless you are among the top 6 percent you had better be careful of what you wish for.

I believe this topic no longer has much to do with Professional Mariners". Don’t be surprised if most, if not all, gets moved to Scuttlebutt where it now belongs.

1 Like

While the posts moved off topic it was of interest to an offshore observer like me. I studied the reason behind the Electoral College and its intent. I observed first hand the actions of some of those employed by Homesecurity in my voyages to the USA and I don’t know where they employed some of these cretins from. They were alien to the vast majority of Americans that I have met.
Big money and corruption have done their best to subvert the intentions of the founding fathers of the US . The constitution is one of the finest documents ever written.
Thank God for the less than benign Tasman Sea and the fact that our entire country is often omitted from maps of the world.

1 Like

Osama really screwed us on 911. It was immediately apparent that America would never be the same again. It was the death of freedom and an open civil society in America.

We now have a huge, expensive, wasteful, intrusive, and mostly useless, security and survelliance industrial complex hanging around our necks, clawing at our wallets, and trying to crawl up our arses.

2 Likes