To verify TWIC or to let them just walk on?

Another AB on another boat just got some grief from the master of the vessel because he checked the TWIC card and gave an orientation to the vessel visitors (3rd party tech w/ office port engineer).

The master of the boat informed him that due to the Security Plan, he did not have to check the visitor TWICs and that office personnel and 3rd party vendors are excluded from being signed in on the vessel because they are from the office.

Ok, so is the master just blowing smoke to look good for the office or is the AB correct in wanting to verify visitors IDs and signing them in ?

I would think everyone’s ID of some kind needs to be verified.

I can see the office employee not being required to do an orientation, but there’s no reason why a 3rd party should be exempt.

1 Like

I would think so as well because when Someone is being entered to the visitors log, you should verify their ID to spell their name correctly and if checking their twic upon boarding, you’re verifying it’s still valid regardless of their shoreside position.

It would depend on the security plan for your vessel as well as the declaration of security with the terminal or dock that you are at. Though even with an ID check being listed as the terminal’s responsibility, most security plans MARSEC 1 requirements are that an ID must be verified and a visitor pass issued.

Either way, as a captain, I would be elated if my AB’s were taking the initiative and taking security seriously. I would also say that if he lit into that AB in front of the “office guy”, it probably didn’t help him out any. I would have chosen to praise them for the effort but remind them that the security plan doesn’t call for it. But that is just my opinion.

3 Likes

My gangway watch is instructed to check every person boarding’s ID. “I don’t care if it’s Gary Chouest himself, check their ID and have them sign in on the log.”

Thing is, you can always be more secure than the VSP, so as far as regulations go, the AB did nothing wrong. As to whether the Captain did, well that depends on the VSP.

3 Likes

Your reply Makes sense to me. I don’t think it’s a matter of right and wrong for verifying a persons ID on the vessel but is the captain overreaching by telling the AB not to verify their ID/sign them in? The VSPs of the average/common OSVs are similar in design and scope so I would think each vessel should be secure in similar ways without the master deviating in procedure.

I understand also that the AB basically has no standing in challenging the masters authority when it comes to overall vessel ops so I’m hoping long term that this practice doesn’t burn him in the long run when going to another vessel.

1 Like

Forget about vessel security for a minute…shouldn’t the captain want every person signed in so they have an accurate muster in case of a fire?

At my last company any visitor who had been onboard in the last 6(?) months was excluded from the full orientation, but everyone still got a quick safety talk. But even the CEO signed in.

5 Likes

Shouldn’t be any controversy here. The instructions for the gangway watch should be written down somewhere where the AB has access to them.

Then it’s just cut and dried, either the instructions were followed or they were not.

I dont see where the AB did anything wrong.

1 Like