Time for c.captain to ask a question

and I searched through all the old threads and found nothing…so there!

my question is if anyone here has experience with Bailey Net90/Infi90 machinery automation. I am working on a vessel with a 1990 vintage system which appears to have had upgrades in the past to a more modern operating system (Composer)

What I am trying to determine is if the system is still viable in 2015 and if is worth investing money to try to bring back to life? The sistership Navy YTT class vessels have all replaced theirs already but the owner of the YTT-9 CAPE FLATTERY does not want to completely change everything but rather to keep that which is good and upgrade the rest is possible?

So anyone here who can give an old dog a little edumacation, it would be most appreciated

Since ABB owns Bailey, you may want to contact ABB for the name of some authorized companies who can assess and provide an estimate.

I believe you can still get support, but it won’t come cheap and if you need parts, they will be expensive.

[QUOTE=catherder;154183]Since ABB owns Bailey, you may want to contact ABB for the name of some authorized companies who can assess and provide an estimate.

I believe you can still get support, but it won’t come cheap and if you need parts, they will be expensive.[/QUOTE]

that’s not the right answer so sorry you don’t win tonight’s prize

If you want someone to look at it and repair or make recommendations I would recommend Grady Schaffer (SCHAFFER TECHNICAL SERVICES INC
19322 JOHNSEN RD COVINGTON, LA 70435-9500) I don’t know his number offhand but it wouldn’t be hard to find.

If you are looking to upgrade it consider Technical Marine Service (TMS) located out of Portland OR.

Either way I am sure calls to both will give you insight to the Bailey Net90/Infi90 machinery automation systems.

http://www.classicautomation.com/ABB_Bailey_Net90.aspx?SystemSubType=161&gclid=CJvOiY3N2cMCFQkmjgodJpQANQ

I am interested to know what other vessels out there still have any of the Net90/Infi90 based automation aboard? If it is gone, has anyone migrated their system to say DeltaV? obviously, I want to learn from those who have gone before.

Contact TMS. They upgraded every ship I was on that used the Net90 stuff.

There are so many off the shelf controllers and logger systems available for almost nothing nowadays that maintaining that old system is a folly. Do you still use an analog computer or a dial telephone? Program with paper tape or punchcards?

[QUOTE=Steamer;154201]Contact TMS. They upgraded every ship I was on that used the Net90 stuff.

There are so many off the shelf controllers and logger systems available for almost nothing nowadays that maintaining that old system is a folly. Do you still use an analog computer or a dial telephone? Program with paper tape or punchcards?[/QUOTE]

sage advice indeed…

[QUOTE=c.captain;154184]that’s not the right answer so sorry you don’t win tonight’s prize[/QUOTE]

AWWW, Shucks!

Install an EOT and give Sweat-n-Grease a call. . . . .

[QUOTE=cmakin;154222]Install an EOT and give Sweat-n-Grease a call. . . . .[/QUOTE]

but then we’d have to make her a steamship (much as I like that idea mind you)