Tidewater boat going down?

Sparse on info. Any word on the street here? Looks like an old boat

1 Like

One of their tired old workhorses:

ABSHIRE TIDE (IMO: 8216540) is a Offshore Supply Ship that was built in 1983 (39 years ago )

1 Like

Holy smokes. I had no idea this boat was still in service.

1 Like

To say that boat paid for itself is an understatement. It had the same contract & captain for several years when she splashed in the water working for Uncle Sam via Westinghouse searching for drug smugglers. I think she had 6 sister ships. Really easy design to figure out & easy to work on. Filters, a crescent wrench, a simple socket set & a 1-1/8" wrench for the shaft & rudder glands was all that was needed. The D399 mains & Detroit gens couldn’t be overloaded & ran prefectly with very little major maintenance if the regular scheduled maintenance was done properly. Here’s a picture of her balloon boat days.

Abshire Tide

2 Likes

I wonder if it still has the original wire type throttle linkages. I hated electronic controls when they came in .

1 Like

I wonder what exactly it was doing. Customer and location. Seriously, must have been kept on the down low. Haven’t even heard of this boat mentioned for at least a decade.

I think you’re thinking of a different class vessel. Twice that I remember I had problems of captains reporting no wheel wash on port side. First time was on Carlson Tide & what happened was shaft sheared in two, luckily outside of vessel. It was replaced at Bludworth Shipyard in Texas City. The second time was on Abshire Tide & it was a loose copper air fitting on governor. If you slept under bridge area for any amount of time no way I can forget the constant sound of the air throttles when light boating. Draining the air traps under bridge consoles was a Sunday Checklist thing.

3 Likes

Nothing for them offshore Naples. Must have been in transit.

Inactive status and an out of service date of 2013.

I smell a plot concocted by the Christians In Action stopped in its tracks.

2 Likes

I bet it’s nothing spectacular or shady as the 3 letter agency. I’m guessing TDW sold her to some nutty upstart company or central American outfit & the operators tried to get her illegally out of US waters as fast & cheap as possible. COI on those boats called for 6 & if she was contracted as a spy boat they’d be more than +1 & the crew on board. Being sold would explain the T missing from the stbd stack.

2 Likes

Unlike the title of this thread, the article made no mention of it at risk of sinking.

Well, they’re spreading the good word. Shouldn’t we all support it? :wink:

Honestly, what kind of black op could be afoot with that bucket of razorblades? Sink it in a narrow channel?

1 Like

Well no exciting mystery or black-op finish for the 'ol Abshire Tide. The Vessel Finder website says she has changed flags a few times since 2006. Mexican to Vanuatu back to Mexican. That explains the USCG paperwork absence. Unless that is what “They” want us to think?

Next stop on the conspiracy theory checklist: smuggling :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Yea, except PSIX shows all flags (or is supposed to).

From Equasis: Equasis - HomePage

Flag Date of effect Source(s)
Not Known since 01/11/2022 IHS Maritime
Bolivia since 01/07/2022 IHS Maritime
Not Known during 2017 IHS Maritime
Mexico since 01/12/2016 IHS Maritime
Vanuatu since 01/04/2014 IHS Maritime
Mexico since 01/10/2006 IHS Maritime
United States of America since 01/01/2000 IHS Maritime

How much coke can you fit on one of those ?

A boat load?

3 Likes

There was a guy at a DIY boatyard in Galveston converting an old shrimper to carry cargo. For some reason, he didn’t think it would raise suspicion. The local constabulary talked him out of it.

1 Like