Thoughts and concerns of the new Regimental Administrators at SUNY Maritime

The Regiment this past year has been nothing but a distraction from what the school’s intentions are which are to educate pure and simple. The school is supposedly ABET credited and students are supposed to have access to labs and classrooms when readily needed but, no. The school now has a bedtime so the widdle children are up to stand inline like mindless drones. I was denied from going on a tug recently because of “regimental good standing” which in this day and age is ALOT easy said then from when I came here pre “new era”, which has put me between a rock and a hard place. When I do get out in the real world it will be harder to get a job due to lack of experience and when I do get the job I will look a lost boy with my head in the sand. Just saying.

[QUOTE=Jake3992;106659]I tried to sift through as much of the above as possible and here’s what I have cooked up,

I am a current Cadet at SUNY and have defiantly wittiness some drastic changes in the two years I have been here. From the backpacks we can wear to the condition of working uniforms, across the board there has been a “locking up of the regiment.” Yes Captain Hanft can be very rude and obnoxious but I think that this could all be for the better. With this tightening up comes a host of opportunity to increase the amount of training we receive. It seems that employers love the new locked up regiment, Wartsila in particular. Not only do we have a 2000kw engine from them in the lab but the head of R and D made a presentation about the company to the cadets. This new regiment is a resource to be tapped by graduates and students alike. If Wartsila gave us an engine then maybe other companies and graduates will make similar donations. If the price for all this is just getting yelled at by the ex guard commander of Guantanamo bay then I will take that deal. That being said this resource is yet to be tapped. We still do not have the hands on training that we need. Furthermore we need to use the resources maritime already has. Maritime is currently is possession of a roughly 50-75 foot(unsure of actual specifications yacht known as divemaster. What better tool for teaching deckies boat handling skills then something that they could use every weekend as part of a class? Anyway here’s a quick summary of what this new regiment needs to be harnessed to accomplish.

[ul]
[li]More hands on diesel experience (Startups, piston pulls, etc.), we need a gantry crane and catwalk to go with the wartsila diesel[/li][li]Simulators, we need a huge upgrade for the engine side and and DP sim for the deck side[/li][li]More hands on for the deckies a tugboat or just utilizing divemaster would be a great experience[/li][li]Training ship upgrades, we either need money to fix up the training ship to make it something to be proud of or we need a new ship altogether. Either way something has to be done.[/li][li]More Merchant Sailors on staff in the regiment and as instructors To many of the engineering side professors don’t hold a licence, I understand not all of them can but we need more who do. Naval enlisted men have much to offer us cadets but I think we can do better, maybe a Bo’sun?[/li][li]Better fire training, we need more time being taught actual firefighting, maybe even run scenarios on the ship?[/li][/ul][/QUOTE]

I agree with you 100% about ways things could be improved, HOWEVERRR none of that has to do with the regiment. All that has to do with License department funding.

[QUOTE=domer;106697]

What wartsilla and employers are looking for in an engineering student is someone who understands basic academic concepts like “[B][I][I]Correlation does not imply causation[/I][/I][/B]”![/QUOTE]

^ I see what you did there lol.

I just noticed there are 4 active threads regarding the new Warden at SUNY Maritime. In the years I’ve been on gCaptain, I have never seen anything like it. No other Academy had problems like this.

I feel bad for NYS kids that do not have other State academy options.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;106576]I still hold SUNY in high regard, the other schools must still too since it was SUNY who hosted a Maritime Academy Conference… QUOTE]

It’s a bi-annual conference, and it rotates. It was at Texas last time, Mass. before that.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;106741]I just noticed there are 4 active threads regarding the new Warden at SUNY Maritime. In the years I’ve been on gCaptain, I have never seen anything like it. No other Academy had problems like this.

I feel bad for NYS kids that do not have other State academy options.[/QUOTE]

Jet, what happens if this is just a massive troll? Like one person made multiple accounts and multiple threads to bash the woman? I can not say anything because I do not yet attend the college but I have stayed overnight before and talked to dozens of students and not one of them said anything like this. My idea is all hypothetical but it is something to possibly think about.

When you stay over as a guest of the admissions dept. the cadets you stay with know that they’re not supposed to talk about the bad things.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;106776]When you stay over as a guest of the admissions dept. the cadets you stay with know that they’re not supposed to talk about the bad things.[/QUOTE]

They didn’t talk about the bad things until I told them I already was going. Usually you are right though. Basically every person I saw though told me not to go.

[QUOTE=Whiplasher;106765]Jet, what happens if this is just a massive troll? Like one person made multiple accounts and multiple threads to bash the woman? I can not say anything because I do not yet attend the college but I have stayed overnight before and talked to dozens of students and not one of them said anything like this. My idea is all hypothetical but it is something to possibly think about.[/QUOTE]

I thought about that too but this does not fit the profile of a troll.

• Multiple specific instances of abuse cited.
  • Confirmation of abuse by others
  • The warden fits the profile of someone on a power & control trip.

I think Smeee is legit even though smeee only has 3 posts, He/she needs to be careful comments can not be traced back to him/her personally lest life at the academy would become a living hell. Likewise, I have been reluctant to share much personal info about myself.

As a recent Alum I agree Hanft needs to go. I witnessed her rip someone’s boiler suit open to "check if they were wearing a t shirt underneath. She has threatened cadets. Taken the property of students away from them on cruise and then refused to give it back. The punishments she dish’s out are so absurd and unfair it’s almost as if she wants cadets to flunk out. She and her lackies known as Chief’s are under the impression that If you are not in the military and have no desire to join the military then you must be a horrible person. To the point when the Master Chief gave a speech to cadets he told them if there chest does not have comabt medals from iraq or Afghanistan then the “are worth less then a pile of puke”. Emails now go out on a weekly basis telling cadets how to join the USCG. To they point that it looks like were in a world war. To the point of the school moving away from the license program I can’t say much other then when the admiral changed the mission statement she removed everything about license. I will say that as a recent alum I hold no ill will towards my Alma Mater. I entered SUNY Maritime to get a USCG deck license. I passed license 7 for 7 with no problem. So the school served its purpose. However Hanft and Carpenter need to go !

Who knows what the actual facts are, I sure don’t, but most of this stuff seems to have a ring of truth to it.

Next time I run into a SUNY cadet or fresh grad, I’ll ask what the real story is.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;106741]I just noticed there are 4 active threads regarding the new Warden at SUNY Maritime. In the years I’ve been on gCaptain, I have never seen anything like it. No other Academy had problems like this.

I feel bad for NYS kids that do not have other State academy options.[/QUOTE]

You know, if one is going to have to put up with such immense regimental crap at SUNY why not just try to get into KP and get the free ride? I mean, paying gold coin to the system just to be abused by some dyke seems rather senseless. How hard is it to get into my favorite of maritime schools? They run recruiting videos so there must be a deficit of applicants? I guess you must be able to apply from a state outside the NE but how hard can that be? Do they check how long residency is if you are applying from say Nebraska or North Dakota? If you have an aunt or uncle in the middle of nowhere, it might be the golden ticket? Just hypothesizing is all…far be it from me to ever think of gaming the system!

[QUOTE=Whiplasher;106780]They didn’t talk about the bad things until I told them I already was going. Usually you are right though. Basically every person I saw though told me not to go.[/QUOTE]

When I first visited Schuyler decades ago every cadet told me not to go but I went anyway. The school is full of people like us and that’s part of what makes it great. No other school makes it’s cadets chip as much paint, no other school treats it’s cadets Si such disrespect and no other school is located in the Bronx.

And because of this no other school better prepares it’s cadets for the harsh life at sea as Schuyler. This is why Schuyler cadets can be found piloting rust buckets and oil rigs that other mariners wouldn’t touch with a ten foot stick. This is why you can depend on a Schuyler guy to get the job done long after the others have flown the coop. This is why employers love Schuyler.

Countless alumni have utter the words “Schuyler is a horrible place to be but a great place to be from!”

Sounds like this statement still rings true today. So I’m sorry Jet but Schuyler remains number one on my list of best schools because what doesn’t doesn’t kill you makes you stronger and dear Miss Catie hasn’t killed anyone yet.

Ah Domer - I take no offense.

I will let you in on a little secret - My grandfather is a Schuyler grad and damn proud of it. His diploma and a big picture of the Empire State grace his study to this day. I can’t say anthing bad about SUNY cadets.

Being from CT, I could go to SUNY, Mass or Maine for in state tuition rates. Based on what I read on gCapt, heard from staff & students, and “vibe” I got from campus visits, I felt the best fit for me was elsewhere. I have no regrets,

BTW - The license and job opportunities are the same no matter which academy you go to.

[QUOTE=c.captain;106407]

//youtu.be/axYpKNHLIFo

I GOTTA GO!

.[/QUOTE]

Hey C.Capt - I was scrollong through this thread and saw this frame from your youtube clip.

KP or not - she’s hot.

man…I really need that trip to Xanadu. When we shoving off?

OH NO SON! Bite your tongue…she is not hot and likely is now the deputy commander at some military brig somewhere and enjoys taking the dogs out for their afternoon walkies!

man…I really need that trip to Xanadu. When we shoving off?

now these are the female cadets found aboard my vessels…

It’s ok though because you are young and most anything female looks attractive but there is still plenty of time to train you properly to be a discerning admirer of the finest feminine ladies. Watch and learn from a true master mariner my fine lad!

//youtu.be/XBeP8yc5P64

good catch!

I like your pride Sir. One thing though: you can’t defend people like Hanft and Carpenter with your statements. It was tough before them, we chipped as much paint, got written up for not shaving and all that, there was plenty of BS to contend with and if you wanted to get your license and graduate you put up with it. There was no question that it was one of the more regimented academies and has been for decades.

The stuff they’ve changed since arriving though is where they’ve crossed the line. Random breathalizing on cruise, 2 strike drinking policy, all classes yes even seniors have TAPS at 2300, no open gangway for 1/c. Those are just some of the pure policy changes. Look at the organisational management side of the story. Carpenter has bullied former faculty out of their positions, instituted people completely loyal to her, and she micromanages department operations like a dictator instead of letting the the department heads work towards their own goals. The Commandant/Master of the Training Ship has been pretty much cut out of regimental affairs, though i hear he will leave the school as soon as they can get a new ship captain, so Carpenter and her puppet Hanft can run it how they want it to be.

The bottom line is they want the institution to be like Citadel or VMI, but the purpose of the school is not to be a private military academy, it’s to graduate Mariners, Engineers, and Transportation Managers.

I think the regiment side is important and shouldn’t be eliminated, but honestly I imagine the Cadets at actual service academies are treated better, and allowed more self responsibility. Even better they’re paid.

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;106801]Ah Domer - I take no offense.

I will let you in on a little secret - My grandfather is a Schuyler grad and damn proud of it. His diploma and a big picture of the Empire State grace his study to this day. I can’t say anthing bad about SUNY cadets.

Being from CT, I could go to SUNY, Mass or Maine for in state tuition rates. Based on what I read on gCapt, heard from staff & students, and “vibe” I got from campus visits, I felt the best fit for me was elsewhere. I have no regrets,

BTW - The license and job opportunities are the same no matter which academy you go to.[/QUOTE]

Correction on the job opportunities when you graduate. They are VERY different. I’m a 2010 grad who had plenty of employers tell me they would rather a Domer over any other academy. Being a Domer is an earned right, you pay your dues and you make it through the screw. As for this new Captain, her values are quite misplaced. I always found it to be the classes (particularly McKoy’s) that taught me the most about having pride in what I do and to always focus on the small details, not the regiment.

[QUOTE=domer;106798]And because of this no other school better prepares it’s cadets for the harsh life at sea as Schuyler. This is why Schuyler cadets can be found piloting rust buckets and oil rigs that other mariners wouldn’t touch with a ten foot stick. This is why you can depend on a Schuyler guy to get the job done long after the others have flown the coop. This is why employers love Schuyler.[/QUOTE]

Funny you say that, because I’m on one of the biggest rust buckets bearing an American registry, and oddly enough I take pride in working there. I guess the T.S. Empire State did her job well despite the grumblings of just about all of us at one point or another.

[QUOTE=3Mgonelaw;106812]Correction on the job opportunities when you graduate. They are VERY different. I’m a 2010 grad who had plenty of employers tell me they would rather a Domer over any other academy. Being a Domer is an earned right, you pay your dues and you make it through the screw. As for this new Captain, her values are quite misplaced. I always found it to be the classes (particularly McKoy’s) that taught me the most about having pride in what I do and to always focus on the small details, not the regiment.[/QUOTE]

Well, since I am a guest here on the SUNY Maritime category, I’ll let you continue to believe that.

Every company has it’s favorite schools and I’m sure the ones interviewing SUNY grads - like SUNY grads. Same for every other academy.