Thoughts and concerns of the new Regimental Administrators at SUNY Maritime

[QUOTE=Smeee;105977]From what I understand, SUNY hired an ex-Brig Commander, which is if I understand correctly, someone who was in charge of running military prisons, and put her in charge of a college regiment. I have heard stories of very unprofessional behavior and complete disregard for the students. From what I have read online she has pending court cases in the supreme court for her actions as Brig Commander. I just dont see how SUNY could put someone with her past in charge of a program where paying customers, not terrorist or military personnel, are involved.[/QUOTE]

Smeee- You are putting it much to mild to call her an ex-brig commander. How about deputy commander of Gitmo?

I am not making this up.:
http://www.defense.gov/News/NewsArticle.aspx?ID=14999

[QUOTE=c.captain;106145]Oh how right you are son. If any man out there thinks that thing is hot, then he is very very ill and needs to be admitted forthwith to an ICU somewhere very soon! I don’t care if he is a mariner, he’s sick and needs psychological help IMMEDIATELY!

What really sad though is that phugly piece of phat with the bloated ankles and “sensible shoes” probably thinks she’s HOT as well! Oh the humanity of it all![/QUOTE]

Here we go again. For the 2nd time this week you’ve taken my comments seriously. Make that mistake a 3rd time and you will be whipped!

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;106140]Smeee- You are putting it much to mild to call her an ex-brig commander. How about deputy commander of Gitmo?

I am not making this up.:
http://www.defense.gov/News/NewsArticle.aspx?ID=14999[/QUOTE]

From the article:

[I]“The American people need to trust that the military, who they’ve turned to before in times of need, are doing what they need to do,” said Cmdr. Catie Hanft.
[/I]

You see she said it herself, you K-dets just need to trust that she’ll make things better! She’s done it before:

So much for naval physical standards? Guess I’d be considered In elite physical condition…eye doubt it!

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;105963]I’m no fan of Capt Hanft. She has no place in Education. The school needs to look into hiring more Mariners and not former Military officers. She’s an alum of the school, but I don’t think she knows a thing about the Merchant Industry. [/QUOTE]

I don’t know much about Hanft but I’ve heard from separate reliable sources that the new Admiral has said, point blank, to multiple people that license training is low on her priority list and she hopes to move funding from the Marine Transportation to other departments.

Gitmo, eh? I do think her choice of orange boilersuits was sensible… safety first!

[QUOTE=albertpachino;106148]From the article:

You see she said it herself, you K-dets just need to trust that she’ll make things better! She’s done it before:
[/QUOTE]

It’s been a rule of mine that when someone says “you [I]need[/I] to trust us”: I always do the opposite!

[QUOTE=joepilot;106150]I don’t know much about Hanft but I’ve heard from separate reliable sources that the new Admiral has said, point blank, to multiple people that license training is low on her priority list and she hopes to move funding from the Marine Transportation to other departments.[/QUOTE]

This is sad news my friend. First and foremost Schuyler graduates need to know how to drive ships, or, at least, know how to drop an anchor without f#cking up!

If MARAD had half a brain it would pull all support and funding until the school was in the hands of a ship driver. But, of course, Matsuda doesn’t give a shit about ships.

Could it be that SUNY has come to the conclusion that Maritime needs to morph into a regular college, abandoning license track candidates?
Perhaps they feel USMMA is filling the major locally so why does NYS need to fund the mission.

If I was a HS senior wanting a maritime career - I think SUNY would no longer be my first choice.

Sad

If they lose the license program then they lose the property and the college…

I don’t know that I could fault her for what she did in Cuba. I don’t trust the government any more than the next guy, but I don’t believe in the humanitarian treatment of terrorists either. Having said that, whatever she did in Cuba was meant to be left in Cuba. Good for her for doing screwed up and morally reprehensible things for the good of her country, I probably would have done some of the same things myself, but a qualified commandant of midshipmen at a maritime academy those experiences do not make.

Mrs. Hanft, thank you for your service to your country, but know when your luck has run out. You’re a danger to the good and hard working students of Fort Schuyler and the time is long since passed for you to be removed from your wholly undeserved post. Do us all a favor and bow out peacefully before we start having fun picking you apart limb from limb in the media and in law suits. Best of luck to you!

Maybe there should be an official GCaptain Expose’ article on her. People in the industry need to know that the future of their future employees is going down hill. Seriously though someone should take a good hard look at how the Maritime Academies are failing to prepare future transportation managers by hiring people like her who have nothing to do with education.

Hell, she probably thinks “Supply Chain Management” is when you shackle up all the inmates before making them work in a warehouse.

I heard she tried to take away boiler suits because they are always too dirty. Rumor was she wanted to switch to some sort of Navy work uniform.

I think the school would crumble if Capt. Smith wasn’t holding things together. The student body has a great deal of respect for him, and her… not so much.

I believe it is safe to say that Capt. Hanft is the most hated and most disrespected person at SUNY Maritime. She lacks character and a proper social etiquette consistently calling people out for things they have done wrong and never something they have done right. It is one thing to try and teach us young men discipline but anything coming from her mouth is just mindless and outlandish. My biggest problem is that she is “the enforcer” at our school and somebody in a position such as hers should be respected but I don’t see myself ever having any respect for a woman such as her. I wish I could say something positive about her but there literally is nothing positive or complimentary to say.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;106205]Maybe there should be an official GCaptain Expose’ article on her. People in the industry need to know that the future of their future employees is going down hill. Seriously though someone should take a good hard look at how the Maritime Academies are failing to prepare future transportation managers by hiring people like her who have nothing to do with education.

Hell, she probably thinks “Supply Chain Management” is when you shackle up all the inmates before making them work in a warehouse.[/QUOTE]

Is this crap happening to all the state maritime schools? We heard about it happening at TAMUG and now SUNY, and I was always under the impression that Mass Maritime was rather a regimental hole so what about CMA and Maine? Is the militarization of the program also taking place there? Please tell me it is not happening at GLMA?

Talk about utter nonsense that a person being trained to work in an industry of civilian commercially owned ships needing to somehow become little military officers really makes me feel that the future of the industry is not good at all and very glad to be looking at only another 15 years of this before saying eff it to the whole stoopid bunch! What we need are more private schools like Calhoon! Sailed with many MEBA engineers who graduated from there and can say first rate for them all!

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;106205]Maybe there should be an official GCaptain Expose’ article on her. People in the industry need to know that the future of their future employees is going down hill. Seriously though someone should take a good hard look at how the Maritime Academies are failing to prepare future transportation managers by hiring people like her who have nothing to do with education. .[/QUOTE]

Careful with the broad brush there mate. I am somewhat familar with the goings on at Maine & Mass Maritime and they have less an issue in this regard. Maine is run by a PhD in Marine & Envionmental Science and has worked on numerious gov’t advisory councils. Maine has the rep of providing the best marine engineering program.

Mass Maritime President is an Annapolis grad who spent his Navy time chasing Soviet Subs but soon after went into education working his way up over many years

It’s only SUNY Maritime and kp am aware of that seems to have such low espirit d’corps and that’s usually tied to poor leadership.

I don’t know enough about Texas, Cal & GL to really comment on those. Everything I’ve read on gCapt about GL & Cal seems to be positive.

Just to note that the good captain is getting a full military pension, what I am sure is a nice salary from the SUNY system and earning further retirement points in said system…NICE WORK IF YOU CAN GET IT!

BULLSHIT ON THIS CRAP! GET A QUALIFIED MARITIME EXPERIENCED PERSON IN THAT JOB! Is there no retired MSC master who can do it? There are too many ex military officers infiltrating the state maritime education system!

btw, no wonder she has a “mean complex”…if I was a woman who looked like THAT I’d be a mean bitch too! I mean look at those arms…those are a man’s arms! Am I right or am I right?

[QUOTE=joepilot;106150]I don’t know much about Hanft but I’ve heard from separate reliable sources that the new Admiral has said, point blank, to multiple people that license training is low on her priority list and she hopes to move funding from the Marine Transportation to other departments.[/QUOTE]

O RLY? Oh, now it’s on.

What’s with all these insiders looking to destroy the industry from within? Trojan Horses gotta get weeded out!

[QUOTE=albertpachino;106147]Here we go again. For the 2nd time this week you’ve taken my comments seriously. Make that mistake a 3rd time and you will be whipped![/QUOTE]

Of course we didn’t take you seriously AP. You can’t take someone with an illness like yours seriously…we all know it is just the voices in your head leading you to make such a statement. Any sane man would gnaw his own arm off rather than to cha cha with any woman who looked like that!

I wonder if she loves whales because can you just imagine a whale like her with Paul Watson? Can you imagine WHAT the two of them would spawn together?

Yes it is sad. Ever since the new administration, the regiment comes first and your education come second. Instead of focusing on the academic issues such as only 35% of the seniors passing license on their first try, they are more concerned on whether or not you are eating in the TIV in a boiler suits or if your didn’t shave this morning. The school now forces its cadets to buy their own school supplies that were provided in previous years (sextants, new boiler suits, ect.), claiming that they can not afford to supply us with necessary equipment like they used to. However, they have enough money to hire a new chief to follow kids around and be the tattle tale of the regiment, install cameras inside Fort Schuyler to see if cadets go to class in “civilian clothes”, and completely redo Captain Hanft’s office from floor to ceiling. It just doesn’t make sense to me. Im tired of having officers circle my lunch table every day like a starving dog just waiting for an excuse to give me a pink slip. I cant wait to leave this school; its a broken dream and not what it used to be. If I knew it was like this before applying, I would have gone to Mass Maritime or Maine Maritime in a heartbeat and encourage any future cadets to do so as well.