Testing changes

With all of the STCW changes does anyone foresee a change in the test composition for the 500/1600 master with 3000 ITC? I am awaiting permission to test and feel fairly confident in passing what was involved in the test material. Should I worry about changes?

[QUOTE=ShawnYoungblood;135446]With all of the STCW changes does anyone foresee a change in the test composition for the 500/1600 master with 3000 ITC? I am awaiting permission to test and feel fairly confident in passing what was involved in the test material. Should I worry about changes?[/QUOTE]I took my tests 2 weeks ago and there where no changes to any of them. Just keep an eye on the pool questions that the NMC has on their website. That would be the first place you would see any changes.

[QUOTE=ShawnYoungblood;135446]With all of the STCW changes does anyone foresee a change in the test composition for the 500/1600 master with 3000 ITC? I am awaiting permission to test and feel fairly confident in passing what was involved in the test material. Should I worry about changes?[/QUOTE]

The Master 500/1600 exam will have major changes under the new rule:

Added to the exam:

Ocean Track Plotting:
* Middle Latitude Sailing
* Mercator Sailing
* Great Circle Sailing
* Parallel Sailing
Celestial Observations:
* Latitude by Meridian Transit (Any Body)
Times of Celestial Phenomena:
* Time of Meridian Transit (Any Body)
Speed by RPM
Fuel Conservation
Nautical Astronomy & Navigation Definitions
Determination of Compass Error:
* Azimuth (Any Body)
* Amplitude (Any Body)
Vessel Maneuvering and Handling:
* Determine Maneuvering Characteristics of Major Vessel Types
Stability, Construction, and Damage Control:
* IMO Stability Recommendations
Communications:
* GMDSS
* IMO Standard Maritime Communication Phrases

Removed from the exam:

Tides and tidal currents:
* Extensive tidal effects
Medical Care:
* First Aid

This is not inside information. You can find the same for any endorsement by comparing the exam subject tables in 46 CFR 11.910 from the old/rule to the new/ rule.

Note that until March 24, 2019, if you began the sea service for the endorsement before March 24, 2014, you have the option of testing under the old or new rules.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=MassCap;135476]I took my tests 2 weeks ago and there where no changes to any of them. Just keep an eye on the pool questions that the NMC has on their website. That would be the first place you would see any changes.[/QUOTE]
If you only tested two weeks ago, you were evaluated under the old rules, and almost certainly were approved to test before March 24, 2014. You took the old exams.

You will not see any differences by looking at the questions on the NMC web page. The questions for the new subjects already exist, they just weren’t asked on certain exams.

Also awaiting permission to test, but for 500/1600 mate, near coastal. It seems the NMC was not loyal to previous iterations of the examination topic CFR. Can I feel confident that they will stick to the new version if I elect to test under the new rule?

[QUOTE=nochtli;135621]Also awaiting permission to test, but for 500/1600 mate, near coastal. It seems the NMC was not loyal to previous iterations of the examination topic CFR. Can I feel confident that they will stick to the new version if I elect to test under the new rule?[/QUOTE]

For Mate 500 and Mate 1600,/the differences between the exans given since 2002 and the CFT table were the result of the policy that combined the exams for Mate 500, Mate 1600, 3rd Mate, and 2nd Mate, and that eliminated the requirement to test when/going from Mate 500 or 1600 to 3rd Mate, and/ from 3rd Mate to 2nd Mate. The new rule reflects that change, and thus the exams that are given for Mate 500 and Mate 1600 under the new rule should match the table in the new rule.

Note that the option for choosing the old exams means you get the ones given since 2002 (that were combined as explained above).

Here are the changes from the old (post 2002) exams and the those for the new rule:

Subjects added:

Ocean Track Plotting:

• Mercator Sailing (was required for oceans, it’s added to near coastal in the new rule)
  • Heavy Weather Operations
    Stability, Construction, and Damage Control:
  • Damage Control
    Vessel Power Plants:
  • Marine Engineering Terms
    Emergency Procedures:
  • Emergency Towing
    National Maritime Law:
  • Load Lines
    Shipboard Management and Training:
  • Vessel Alteration/Repair Hot Work
    Ship’s Business:
  • ISM and Safety Management Systems
    Search and Rescue:
  • Search and Rescue Procedures
  • Automated Mutual-Assistance Vessel Rescue System and IAMSAR Manual
    Communications:
  • GMDSS
  • IMO Standard Maritime Communication Phrases

Subjects removed:
Seamanship:

• Small Boat Handling Under Oars and Sail
    Compass - Magnetic & Gyro:
  • Gyro Controlled Systems
  • Determine Maneuvering Characteristics of Major Vessel Types
    Cargo Handling and Stowage:
  • Tank Vessel Safety
  • Cargo Piping and Pumping Systems
  • Cargo Oil Terms and Definitions
  • Ballasting, Tank Cleaning, & Gas Free Ops
  • Load on Top Procedures
    Medical Care:
  • First Aid
    Communications:
  • Radiotelegraphy Emergency Distress Signals
  • Flashing Light

Note the disclaimers in the last 2 paragraphs of my post above about the chnages in the Chief Mate exam.

So it looks like flashing light is gone? Unable to really research at the moment but it doesn’t appear to be on the checklists I’m looking at.

[QUOTE=z-drive;135633]So it looks like flashing light is gone? Unable to really research at the moment but it doesn’t appear to be on the checklists I’m looking at.[/QUOTE]

That would be nice. Flashing Light is certainly a lot less pertinent today than handling small boats under sail and oars.

[QUOTE=z-drive;135633]So it looks like flashing light is gone? Unable to really research at the moment but it doesn’t appear to be on the checklists I’m looking at.[/QUOTE]

The above only means the license exam under the new rules won’t have flashing light questions on it. But flashing light is almost gone. Under the new rule, it’s not required for upgrades of unlimited licenses. It is a one-time requirement for the STCW OICNW endorsement.

Thank you, as much as flashing light is useless at least it’s now applied in a common sense fashion.

Out of all of the stupid classes we have to take flashing light is one of the dumbest.