Stena Line Outlines Make-Or-Break Strategic Plan

Stena Line’s Head of HR, Mick Ambrose outlined a major situation last week that will require potentially significant sacrifices on the part of UK and Irish seafarers, or may eliminate them all together should a compromise not be achieved.

Have an opinion on this situation? Comment below.

[QUOTE=rob;128756]Stena Line’s Head of HR, Mick Ambrose outlined a major situation last week that will require potentially significant sacrifices on the part of UK and Irish seafarers, or may eliminate them all together should a compromise not be achieved.

Have an opinion on this situation? Comment below.[/QUOTE]

That’s a crappy situation for all concerned. Nobody at sea really gets paid enough for what they do but companies also need to make money to stay alive. I’m sure Stena is doing a halfway-decent business, ferries are a fairly popular mode of transportation in Europe, so hopefully this problem does not arise from dangerously low revenues. There are obviously other cuts that they could make besides crew to help lower costs, and I would hope that if they’re talking about how to slim down crew expenses then they have already made those other cuts. Crew expenses should be the very last thing you cut when things get dire.

Maybe some of the cost needs to be passed on to the consumer. I don’t know what it costs to travel on a Stena ferry but if they just raised rates by a couple bucks across the board that would mean millions of dollars more in revenue each year. I’m sure there are other things to consider like government regulations regarding rates, especially since ferries are such an important mode of transportation on that side of the Atlantic. Whatever the case may be I wouldn’t want to be in Mick Ambrose’s shoes right now, that’s for darn sure.