Stcw

yes, but part of getting OICNW now is leadership/managerial skills unless you want it to only be good until the end of the year(they might not even give it to you now without it??? Like capt Phoenix said you’re wise to get it asap under the “old” rules. Best route is 500-master in that scheme I think, if you have the sea time.

Vpdsd you can get with a letter, but vso I wouldn’t worry about in your case until you get everything else.

[QUOTE=z-drive;180336]yes, but part of getting OICNW now is leadership/managerial skills unless you want it to only be good until the end of the year(they might not even give it to you now without it??? Like capt Phoenix said you’re wise to get it asap under the “old” rules. Best route is 500-master in that scheme I think, if you have the sea time.

Vpdsd you can get with a letter, but vso I wouldn’t worry about in your case until you get everything else.[/QUOTE] ok im just confused on where to start, yes my plan is to soon test for 500master im sure i have plenty seatime, but going about OICNW i am getting confused mid atlantic offers a course it says assessments only, 120hr course 1,250$ weekly? then ontop you have to take leadership managerial skills course another 1,250$, and i can get vpdsd with a letter from employer?

If you have mate of towing Nc, with 360 days as mate you can go to 500 master. This is what you need for the relevant STCW at that point. See the pic, you can vpdsd with a letter. Leadership isn’t on the list as its not required until 2017. Ecdis arpa etc you could defer, I wouldn’t bother with ECDIS myself smiling tugs. Idpay the $200 or whatever and just pay a license consultant with all the deadlines pending.

[QUOTE=Tugslasthitch;180330]I wast told vspdsd vso and these stcw roll out or courses whatever it maybe was required to sail as mate for Crowley , that’s why I’m asking for info[/QUOTE]

I always thought crowley wants above and beyond the requirements of the job. i.e. 1600 ton license for a less than 500 ton boat, DDE unlimited for a less than 4000 hp boat, etc…
I know their western alaska distribution fleet requirements aren’t as extensive as their other areas of operation…point I’m making is, and I’m not saying this to be a dick, know exactly what you need to qualify wherever your intent is to be because it could be more time consuming and expensive than you are planning on.

Are there anybody in the world (or in the US for that matter) that know and understand all the different rules for USCG maritime licensing?
Even more perplexing is the perpetual questions and varied answers on this Forum about the subject and the best (eases and/or cheapest) way to obtain whatever licenses required for whatever trade and type/size of ships or boat.
I can see special licenses for near coastal, river and inland waters, but why are there special licenses for towing, OSVs, Alaska etc. etc. etc.?? Confusing!!!

[QUOTE=ombugge;180347]Is there anybody in the world (or in the US for that matter) that know and understand all the different rules for USCG maritime licensing?[/QUOTE]

I do as well as a few others on here. It’s not all that bad, as long as the person asking the question asks a coherent relevant question.

[QUOTE=ombugge;180347]I can see special licenses for near coastal, river and inland waters, but why are there special licenses for towing, OSVs, Alaska etc. etc. etc.??[/QUOTE]

Towing vessels used to only require a license as Operator of Uninspected Towing Vessels that had very low requirements and anyone with an inspected vessel license could run a Towing vessel by nature of their license. After a number of incidents the USCG recognized that Towing vessels needed some specific training and that an Unlimited license holder (even a Master) couldn’t just get on one and operate it safely. Third they created a training scheme requiring actual time onboard towing vessels to get a license.

The explanation for OSVs is even easier. The companies complained that the STCW requirements were too hard for their employees to meet quickly enough for them to have enough officers trained and ready. (In other words, the companies were too cheap to pay for $20,000 worth of classes per student.)

[QUOTE=z-drive;180336]yes, but part of getting OICNW now is leadership/managerial skills [/QUOTE]

For OICNW, it is Leadership and Teamworking Skills, and it does not have to be a course. It can be done by shipboard assessment.
But Master requires Leeadership and Managerial Skills, and that has to be a course. If you just want OICNW, you won’t need a course, but if you’re thinking of gouing to Master, you will need the course, which will cover both.

[QUOTE=Tugslasthitch;180338]ok im just confused on where to start, yes my plan is to soon test for 500master im sure i have plenty seatime, but going about OICNW i am getting confused mid atlantic offers a course it says assessments only, 120hr course 1,250$ weekly? then ontop you have to take leadership managerial skills course another 1,250$, and i can get vpdsd with a letter from employer?[/QUOTE]

Master has a complete different set of assessments. If you don’t have OICNW yet, you will need to do both. Master is here.

Before you spend any money, I would find out exactly what is Crowley wants.

For both endorsements, the number of courses required will go up after 12/31/2016.

[QUOTE=z-drive;180339]…Idpay the $200 or whatever and just pay a license consultant with all the deadlines pending.[/QUOTE]

Even a license consultant is going to be severely constrained without more definite information. Ask Crowley exactly what they want.

[QUOTE=ombugge;180347]Are there anybody in the world (or in the US for that matter) that know and understand all the different rules for USCG maritime licensing? [/QUOTE]

I know someone who does…

the easiest/cheapest usually refers to not bothering with an entry level mates license (200/500), but rather wait until one has enough time for a limited (500/1600) masters license. That way in many cases you only have to “do it once.” No special licenses for Alaska. The towing done here is usually complex and experience from other trades don’t cut it, the more difficult to get a license, the better. The system has many flaws, no doubt though. Particularly OSV licenses. Fault there lies with the bosses, not Mariners.

I recommended leadership and managerial skills so he’d only have to “do it once” since I was suggesting 500-master.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;180356]
I know someone who does…[/QUOTE]
OK. You must be a genius.

Why do not the US adapt and enforce STCW licensing standard for anything outside of rivers and inland waterways, like most countries?

It is allowed to INCREASE the requirements for special purpose vessel, like MODUs, OSVs, Tugs, ATBs or Fishing vessels operating in open waters, based on special training and experience from such vessels.

REDUCING the requirements based on commercial considerations should be banned. IMO regulations are already MINIMUM requirements and should apply to ALL signatories and for all vessels operating outside territorial home waters (12 n.miles from base line). Cherry picking what you want to comply with is not acceptable.

Any vessel not complying with IMO rules for manning qualifications, or any other infringement on the rules, should be detained and banned from trading.

[QUOTE=ombugge;180364]IMO regulations are already MINIMUM requirements and should apply to ALL signatories…[/QUOTE]

ok correct me if I get his wrong zdrive so I wait till I have 365 days as mate of towing , test for 500 master?? And then take leadership and managerial skills? Does the order this happens manner?

[QUOTE=jdcavo;180356]Master has a complete different set of assessments. If you don’t have OICNW yet, you will need to do both.[/QUOTE]

Is the NMC already enforcing the assessments for limited tonnage Master? I figured that didn’t start until 2017.

[QUOTE=Tugslasthitch;180379]ok correct me if I get his wrong zdrive so I wait till I have 365 days as mate of towing , test for 500 master?? And then take leadership and managerial skills? Does the order this happens manner?[/QUOTE]

You can apply for 500 ton master without applying for an STCW endorsement but I think you will need the same classes as for OICNW. Basic Safety Training, Proficiency in Survival Craft, VPDSD, Medical Care Provider, and Bridge Resource Management, at a minimum.

yes, look at the stcw checklist under requirements for those with time that began before 2014. It’s pretty limited, That’s what I’m going on. Those should be valid till the end of the year right?

[QUOTE=Tugslasthitch;180265]What are the new Stcw roll out classes?[/QUOTE]
If you have a mate or captain’s STCW you need leadership and ECDIS, If you’re an Engineer you need Leadership, ER Resource Management and MEECE

I agree that US should either participate fully in STCW, in conformity with other countries; or, the US should not participate at all in STCW. One or the other.

Just out of curiosity, does the USCG accept any Maritime education if a US citizen should attend a foreign Maritime Training Center, Academy or Training Ship outside US?? (Assuming to STCW standard or higher)

What about sea time on foreign vessel. Does that count for issuing of CoC to the same degree as sea time on US vessels?

[QUOTE=ombugge;180666]Just out of curiosity, does the USCG accept any Maritime education if a US citizen should attend a foreign Maritime Training Center, Academy or Training Ship outside US?? (Assuming to STCW standard or higher) [/QUOTE]

No. The U. S. Coast Guard only appproves or accepts training conducted within the United States and its territories, and aboard U. S. flag vessels.

[QUOTE=ombugge;180666]What about sea time on foreign vessel. Does that count for issuing of CoC to the same degree as sea time on US vessels?[/QUOTE]

Yes, see 46 CFR 10.232(f):

(f) Foreign sea service. (1) Experience and service acquired on foreign vessels is creditable for establishing eligibility for an original or renewal of an officer, rating, or STCW endorsement, subject to evaluation by the Coast Guard to determine that it is a fair and reasonable equivalent to service acquired on merchant vessels of the United States with respect to grade, tonnage, horsepower, waters, and operating conditions. This experience and service is also creditable to meet recency requirements.

(2) Experience and service acquired on foreign vessels while holding a valid U.S. endorsement is creditable for establishing eligibility for a raise of grade of an officer, rating, or STCW endorsement, subject to evaluation as specified in paragraph (d)(1) of this section. This experience and service is also creditable to meet recency requirements.

(3) An applicant who has obtained qualifying experience on foreign vessels must submit satisfactory documentary evidence of such service (including any necessary official translation to the English language) in accordance with paragraph (a)(1) and (a)(2) of this section.

Thanks for the clarification.
Re (3): You mean to tell me that USCG doesn’t accept Google translate???

[QUOTE=ombugge;180698]Thanks for the clarification.
Re (3): You mean to tell me that USCG doesn’t accept Google translate???[/QUOTE]

We would probably use Google translate for a brief document if a transcript wasn’t provided. But It is still a valid requirement for documents that are very large and/or are not using the Roman/Latin alphabet. Since you are not a xenophobic American [/SARCASM] and are located in Asia, I would have expected you to consider the possibility of a different alphabet.