So I love the Coast Guard

My Father hit the beaches of Normandy…

I served 10 years as a Reservist, BM2 (Coxswain)

Looking at usajobs : Supervisory Marine Inspector, GS-1801-13

Looking down at Quals…

[B]“This position does not have a positive education requirement.”

[/B]https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/338165000

I step aside and wonder…

What they mean is that they don’t require a formal degree. If that’s you, go for it. Sounds like a nice gig.

Now let’s hope somebody is hiring in this sequestration nightmare!

[QUOTE=catherder;99989]What they mean is that they don’t require a formal degree. If that’s you, go for it. Sounds like a nice gig. [/QUOTE]

$100,000/yr and a degree is not required?? What am I doing at the Academy?

I know, I know…suck it up, stay the course and there will be 72 virgins waiting for me upon graduation…

Lots of jobs like that around here. Ask a hawsepiper.

[QUOTE=“Jetryder223;100009”]

$100,000/yr and a degree is not required?? What am I doing at the Academy?

I know, I know…suck it up, stay the course and there will be 72 virgins waiting for me upon graduation…[/QUOTE]

Be cool and stay in school! You are WAY BETTER OFF getting the degree and the license. You’re half way there right? A college educated individual in this day in age makes (on avg) 40% more cheddar per year then a high school diploma alone. Life is a test…the more shit you go through, the more perspective you have. Just sayin’. Good luck.

You have to remember there a LOT of guys retiring that have 15 or more years as an inspector and have held that positiopn already. To attain that position on the enlisted side requires no educational requirements.

This allows them to hire these guys with no training required and saves them a BUNCH of money AND they are able to double dip (retirement and government pay and benefits) if they are enlisted AND retire from that job. The academy guys and OCS officers go to work for ABS because they can not draw retirement AND work for the government. From an academy or college degree side they would hire you as a junior inspector. You can forget about supervisory, those jobs are locked up by guys moving up from inside or retired people.

So there is a reason they posted it like that, THEY DON"T WANT TO HIRE YOU, they want a known quality. So stay in school like your mother said, then get the bomb jacket, make yourself a martyr and collect your 72 virgins. Personally, I can’t afford the paycut and don’t want to work that many hours which is why I never wanted to suck at the government teet after I retired…

[QUOTE=BMCSRetired;100081]

So there is a reason they posted it like that, THEY DON"T WANT TO HIRE YOU, they want a known quality. So stay in school like your mother said, then get the bomb jacket, make yourself a martyr and collect your 72 virgins. Personally, I can’t afford the paycut and don’t want to work that many hours which is why I never wanted to suck at the government teet after I retired…[/QUOTE]

No bombs or martyr’s here.
The virgins…I think I would get tired of begging.

Figured there was a catch to that job post. Oh well…

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;100096]No bombs or martyr’s here.
The virgins…I think I would get tired of begging.

Figured there was a catch to that job post. Oh well…[/QUOTE]

Hey it never hurts to check on this stuff. Work smarter not harder and government jobs are not a bad gig in some cases. The benefits outweigh some of the other BS. That was why I did 22 in the USCG. U could go in as an officer which isn’t a bad gig either. Anyway, I would be begging too. Lemme know if u have any other crackpot ideas.

I don’t like seeing people wasting their time making the same mistakes I did, unless of course they deserve it.

[QUOTE=BMCSRetired;100081]You have to remember there a LOT of guys retiring that have 15 or more years as an inspector and have held that positiopn already. To attain that position on the enlisted side requires no educational requirements.

This allows them to hire these guys with no training required and saves them a BUNCH of money AND they are able to double dip (retirement and government pay and benefits) if they are enlisted AND retire from that job. The academy guys and OCS officers go to work for ABS because they can not draw retirement AND work for the government. From an academy or college degree side they would hire you as a junior inspector. You can forget about supervisory, those jobs are locked up by guys moving up from inside or retired people.

So there is a reason they posted it like that, THEY DON"T WANT TO HIRE YOU, they want a known quality. So stay in school like your mother said, then get the bomb jacket, make yourself a martyr and collect your 72 virgins. Personally, I can’t afford the paycut and don’t want to work that many hours which is why I never wanted to suck at the government teet after I retired…[/QUOTE]

Another tip-off is the announcement is only open for two weeks. Often (but not always) they go with a short open period when they are leaning towards someone from the inside.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;100251]Another tip-off is the announcement is only open for two weeks. Often (but not always) they go with a short open period when they are leaning towards someone from the inside.[/QUOTE]

Good point. Forgot about that angle to narrow the scope.