Small boat captain aand KSA's

I know a few small boat captains who got into MSC but I’m not able to get ahold of any of them. My question is about KSA’s.

What skills would a captain (100 ton or less) have that might look good on the KSA’s part of the application?

Examples: using power tools, painting, waterblasting, use of chemicals (acid and cleaning supplies), sanders, maintaning safety equipment, cpr and first aid, O2 provider, etc.

Would these help?

A private message would be fine as well!

Thanks!

Gerald Perry

Depends on what position you are applying for? If you are applying for OS or AB it will help you a good amount because you will be required to stand watch, being a 100ton you are suppose to know your rules,light,sounds and stuff like that, like back of your hand. Unfortunately on the OS and AB KSA’s none of the questions are about lights, sounds, and rules, even though it says you will need to know it in the job description.

If I’m remembering the wording correctly, you can lump it in the communications KSA.

Example for using powertools: “As a 100 ton master I was in charge of the overall safety, use and maintenance of my boat’s powertools. I saw that the tools were inventoried quarterly and any damage or loss was properly logged and reported to the port captain as company procedures mandated. I saw that any damaged or unsafe tools were removed from service and replacements and spare parts were ordered from the apprpoprate distributors. Several time a year I oversaw and verified the crew’s training on powertools, including the safe use of the tools and related personal protection equipment.” Blah blah blah.

My point is that the KSAs are not about what you can do or what you know. It’s creative writing. You can make anything fit if you’re creative. Proper verb choice can make something mean anything you want it to. All the stuff you listed about painting, waterblasting, babysitting as a teen and walking your dog daily can be used to construct an excellent KSA.

(I’m not a good creative writer as my lame example above shows, but hopefully you see what I mean.)

[B]Did you ever look at that link I put in your other KSA thread?[/B]
[I]Documented experience, education, training, and awards contained in the application package will be reviewed to determine the degree to which you possess the required knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) that are essential for successful job performance. A ranking determination will be conducted against the knowledge, skills and abilities to determine your qualifications as reflected by your responses to the following job related factors:

1. Ability to perform general maintenance and repair on-deck equipment
  2. Knowledge of shipboard safety, including lifesaving and fire fighting equipment, methods and techniques
  3. Knowledge of Material Handling Equipment (MHE)[/I] [B](this is fork trucks , pallet jacks and the like)
    [/B][I]4. Ability to operate UNREP gear and equipment (winches, cranes, booms, MHE, etc)
    To earn the highest rating possible, it is your responsibility to submit detailed information in response to the KSAs listed above. Evaluations, ship assignments, awards, training, education, commercial experience, etc., will also be part of the rating and ranking process

[/I]

Thanks! All of you are very helpful. I hope someday I get in.

Gerald Perry

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;49162][B]Did you ever look at that link I put in your other KSA thread?[/B]
[I]Documented experience, education, training, and awards contained in the application package will be reviewed to determine the degree to which you possess the required knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) that are essential for successful job performance. A ranking determination will be conducted against the knowledge, skills and abilities to determine your qualifications as reflected by your responses to the following job related factors: [/I]
[I]1. Ability to perform general maintenance and repair on-deck equipment [/I]
[I]2. Knowledge of shipboard safety, including lifesaving and fire fighting equipment, methods and techniques [/I]
[I]3. Knowledge of Material Handling Equipment (MHE)[/I] [B](this is fork trucks , pallet jacks and the like)[/B]
[I]4. Ability to operate UNREP gear and equipment (winches, cranes, booms, MHE, etc) [/I]
[I]To earn the highest rating possible, it is your responsibility to submit detailed information in response to the KSAs listed above. Evaluations, ship assignments, awards, training, education, commercial experience, etc., will also be part of the rating and ranking process [/I]

[/QUOTE]

Yes I did thanks Jeffrox. I just needed something more aimed at my experience-more specific. You have been very helpful!

Thanks!

Gerald Perry