Short another Tallship

One less tallship. At least this time no one got hurt.http://rnli.org/NewsCentre/Pages/RNLI-lifeboats-launch-to-sinking-tall-ship-with-30-people-on-board-off-Kinsale.aspx

Back in the day these sank all the time. Granted imprecise navigation, disease and other perils played a part but why should we be surprised these sink today? They are primitive.

I don’t think many gCaptain regulars are surprised.

I don’t know why, but some sneaky suspicion tells me that “sail training” in Europe ain’t the same as it is in the good ol’ US of A.

Pity tho that a nice old time vessel is aground like that…I wonder if there is a chance at salvaging it?

[QUOTE=c.captain;115517]I don’t know why, but some sneaky suspicion tells me that “sail training” in Europe ain’t the same as it is in the good ol’ US of A. [QUOTE]

After the tragic and avoidable sinking of the HMS Bounty last fall, a vessel captained by an American sailor, i really think your comment is displaced.

Some sneaky suspicion tells me you do not really know enough of Europe’s “sail training” to even comment on it.

And a little reminder that it was Europeans who learnt how to sail these ships to America, not the other way round.

One matter where i agree with you is that its sinking is a real pity.

[QUOTE=c.captain;115517]I don’t know why, but some sneaky suspicion tells me that “sail training” in Europe ain’t the same as it is in the good ol’ US of A.[/QUOTE]

That remains to be seen. It is highly probable that the one or two licensed officers onboard hold nothing more than a yachtie ticket. Even the EU tallships groups brag about the paid crew having STCW “training.”

If you look at the tallships association website or go to the individual ship website, they avoid mentioning anything about the certicates held by the master or other senior officers. The most they seem to do is brag about the crew having taken a BST class.