Sailing outside scope of license

What is the penalty for sailing outside the scope of one’s current credentialing?
I am not doing this or ever would but I have heard of it and an curious…,

I’m not 100% sure how any company would let you get away with that in the first place because most places I know of check up on that sort of thing pretty carefully, but if by some chance it did happen right under the company’s nose then I imagine like anything else you’d probably get your license taken away and the USCG would probably charge the company with endangering their vessel by letting someone of a lesser license sail in a licensed position on her. Just a guess though…

Like “Captain” (note the quotation marks) Francesco Schettino?

Like the guy who stole the ferry and took it for a joyride?

[QUOTE=Vashontowboater;135440]What is the penalty for sailing outside the scope of one’s current credentialing?
I am not doing this or ever would but I have heard of it and an curious…,[/QUOTE]

I think this fairly common at smaller companies. Some just don’t know any better, and others are willing to take the risk to save a few dollars, or use the guys they already have. They rarely get caught unless there is an incident.

I know of an incident last year where after a grounding the CG discovered that while the master and mate had 200 ton licenses and completed TOARs, neither of them had sufficient towing experience (the mate had virtually no towing experience, and the validity of his TOAR was in question). The way I hear it they all just got a slap on the wrist, but the owner dug deeper into his wallet to hire properly licensed replacements, and fired a mate off another boat that was not properly licensed either. The owner was crying about the extra cost to hire properly licensed people, but he wasn’t crying about any fines.

It might be safer just to sail with no license at all. I worked with guys in the gulf who did that. What are they going to do? Take your license? The CG just fined the company, they put the guy in the yard for a few months and he is back to work running a tug. (1990’s)

[QUOTE=Vashontowboater;135440]What is the penalty for sailing outside the scope of one’s current credentialing?I am not doing this or ever would but I have heard of it and an curious…,[/QUOTE]Guess it depends on how they find out about it. http://gcaptain.com/captain-mv-oliver-sentenced Anyone know what the final outcome was for the mate?

[QUOTE=Ea$y Money;135465]Guess it depends on how they find out about it. http://gcaptain.com/captain-mv-oliver-sentenced Anyone know what the final outcome was for the mate?[/QUOTE]

If one gets in a collision and spills 400,000 gallons of black oil, he is in big trouble no matter what kind of license he might have.

Well, that was how they found out he didn’t have a license… Do you know what his outcome was with the courts/USCG?

[QUOTE=Ea$y Money;135480]Well, that was how they found out he didn’t have a license… Do you know what his outcome was with the courts/USCG?[/QUOTE]

The “mate” who was only licensed as a steersman, John Bavaret, was sentenced to 6 months in prison, 6 months of home detention, and 30 more months of probation.

Obviously, that’s a lot more than a slap on the wrist because of the large spill of black oil spill.

[QUOTE=Vashontowboater;135440]What is the penalty for sailing outside the scope of one’s current credentialing?
I am not doing this or ever would but I have heard of it and an curious…,[/QUOTE]

Not sure if this is what your are looking for.
But one company I know, (which actually is a very good company) was recently caught with their boats outside of 200 miles, and no Oceans tickets onboard.
I think, (but do not know) that the end result was a fine for the company and letters of reprimand for the Captains, Which does not mean much off the top, just when the Captains go to renew, the letter of reprimand will come up. As long as they do not do it again, probably will be okay. Caught a second time, I would think their license would be pulled. Again “I think” I do not know for a fact

Ocean31

[QUOTE=Ocean31;135492]Not sure if this is what your are looking for.
But one company I know, (which actually is a very good company) was recently caught with their boats outside of 200 miles, and no Oceans tickets onboard.
I think, (but do not know) that the end result was a fine for the company and letters of reprimand for the Captains, Which does not mean much off the top, just when the Captains go to renew, the letter of reprimand will come up. As long as they do not do it again, probably will be okay. Caught a second time, I would think their license would be pulled. Again “I think” I do not know for a fact

Ocean31[/QUOTE]

I think that is probably a fairly common out of license scope violation.

slight hijack…
I have clearly sailed with people who had fake licenses, when i challenged the office they went back to the flag state of the ticket holder and they said we have no data from when his license was converted from the local to stcw95, which is clearly when the largest fraud in the industry happened in the 3rd world countries as many have private colleges that all burnt down… so he actually has a real ticket but issued on nothing.
We call them the permanent 3rd mates usually in their 50’s or 60’s as they have no chance to pass any exam written or verbal.
Oh and usually color blind so you have to keep them away from chart updates.

I have an expired MMD with a QMED endorsement. Does anyone know what, if any, position I can hold offshore until my renewal is processed? I was told I could work as an unlicensed engineer on a crew boat. This doesn’t sound right given what I’ve researched on various websites. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Really… I’m 55 and have sailed and learned more than you ever will with an attitude like that. Have some respect, grow some manners. Just finished my 7th issue and have no issues with physical what so ever junior swab.

• Updated - - -

by the bye, a chart update has nothing to do with colors… just sayin’ DA

[QUOTE=roundabout;135687]Really… I’m 55 and have sailed and learned more than you ever will with an attitude like that. Have some respect, grow some manners. Just finished my 7th issue and have no issues with physical what so ever junior swab.

• Updated - - -

by the bye, a chart update has nothing to do with colors… just sayin’ DA[/QUOTE]

Have you tried decaf?

As have I. I have sailed with SO many useless idiots from 20 to 50 that they are in a class by themselves. ( and this is with ‘bonafide’ USCG licenses !) You use too broad a brush with your description. It isn’t that you Work with people who have ‘fake’ licenses. It is that YOU choose to work at such a place that would hire them on in the first place.