Sailing AB with a Mate's Ticket

Keep it in your back pocket, that’s what the old timer partner AB told me when he found out I had license. He said let the mate know but don’t say anything to anyone else.

It worked good. The third mate got off unexpectedly and I got the spot.
Laid low. kept my mouth shut and the paint brush moving.

Actually a lot of companies are not hiring A/B with Mate license.

This is the reason, they have done this in the past and the turnover is extremely high. They prefer to hold your hiring process until they get a Mate position open.

And with just a visit to NMC website there is no way to hide a license, the info is out there and in the MMC. In the past it was another story with the “z-card”

[QUOTE=0rion;117047]Actually a lot of companies are not hiring A/B with Mate license.

This is the reason, they have done this in the past and the turnover is extremely high. They prefer to hold your hiring process until they get a Mate position open.

And with just a visit to NMC website there is no way to hide a license, the info is out there and in the MMC. In the past it was another story with the “z-card”[/QUOTE]

I didn’t mean keep it a secret just don’t flaunt it, do your job and keep your mouth shut. Obviously if you want to sail mate you have tell someone, at minimum the company you are working for should know.

Also if you are sailing AB with a mate’s ticket you’ already have a job.

I signed on to a ship as an AB, got bumped up to third mate when they couldn’t find a relief for the guy, and a month later got bumped up to second mate when he got sick and had to be medevaced (and another AB with a mates license got the third mate job).

If you’ve got the license, you can keep it on a need to know basis, but the captain should know because he may have need for you at some point. It’s also a good idea to stay on good terms with the captain and chief mate. There was a third AB with a license onboard who had been there longer than the rest of us, but the CM couldn’t stand the guy and I got the job.

Hell, I once thought to ask the Coast Guard if they could issue me a 1600ton license separate from my UL since many companies do not want a UL guy for a limited vessel believing you’ll bail out as soon as you can get a big ship. Never asked but already know what the answer would have been.

[QUOTE=0rion;117047]Actually a lot of companies are not hiring A/B with Mate license.

And with just a visit to NMC website there is no way to hide a license, the info is out there and in the MMC. In the past it was another story with the “z-card”[/QUOTE]

Which companies are those? I am heading down in two weeks (after my GMDSS class, I have a 3rds) and was hoping to get a Ab spot and then move to mate when one opens up.
So do they only hire “mates”? and not mates who want to be a AB then Mate? Have been away from the industry for a while and looking to get back in but keep hearing “you need more experience”. This gets confusing, and I am not a “kid” out of the academy looking to get DP then drillship. thanks

I think is more of a case by case thing.

If youre experience includes boat handling and a seasoned mates ticket they dont want to put you out there as A/B.

If you are new 3rd mate with no experience or recently graduated things may be different.