Rtbu

OK, so ill start it since i haven’t seen much, if any activity about it on here. I will point out that though I am knew to this forum, I am certainly not new to the industry. I am just trying to get other peoples opinion (good or bad) and trying to make sense of the RTBU. I know its a relativity new “bargaining unit” and still in the early process of getting all its ducks in a row, but I’ve read all the legal gobbledygook on the website which, because I am not a lawyer, still doesn’t make much sense. The RTBU Constitution states in a nutshell, which is very similar to Wikipedia’s definition of the word “alliance”, that the members will work together in order to advance common goals and to secure common interests. As we all know, RTBU was formed by FORMER KSea employees to protect their job related rights. Well guess what, KSea DOESN’T EXIST anymore. There is no more KSea, no more Allied Transportation, no more Penn Maritime, there is only Kirby Offshore Marine. How can a bargaining unit say that its members need to all work together, support the cause, get excited, pay us money, etc, etc when everyone is on a different playing field. Pay is different, longevity and seniority are inconsistent throughout the fleet, people are unhappy, communication is nonexistent. Just wondering if someone can tell explain, in tugboat not legal talk, why this is. Would love to hear others thoughts and opinions on the new UNIT in town. Trust me, I’m not disgruntled, just curious and not getting answers anywhere else.

The ultimate/common goal is to achieve what you observe to be lacking. Has to be something to work towards…right? What good would it be if not?

Look elsewhere on the interwebs for more detail, there is a site/forum like “new York harbor workers” that’s all about 333/rtbu.

If I recall correctly there is a cooling down period between decertification etc. from what I have heard they seem to be happy with what they have achieved but that’s 3rd hand when I hear it. Anything gained against Kirby, a southern non union company, will be a victory by normal standards.

[QUOTE=z-drive;103138] Anything gained against Kirby, a southern non union company, will be a victory by normal standards.[/QUOTE]

Whether Kirby is a “Southern non union company” is besides the point. In my opinion what we have here is the RTBU in the so called “New York State of Mind”. The are so wrapped up in NY Harbor Union propaganda, they have yet to lift up their hard heads and see that there are now members (or soon to be members) of the RTBU who can care less about the happenings in the harbor and feel that those problems shouldn’t affect us. Its time to drop the KSea mentality now and forever… White/Red/Brown , Two Tone Green, and Grey are no longer.

Myself and lots of my shipmates want to be on the same playing field with the rest of the fleet. The RTBU wanted us to vote on a contract, pay dues, and to be apart of the team, but the rewards were different. If you want unity, that not a good way to start.

Whether Kirby is a “Southern non union company” is besides the point. In my opinion what we have here is the RTBU in the so called “New York State of Mind”. The are so wrapped up in NY Harbor Union propaganda, they have yet to lift up their hard heads and see that there are now members (or soon to be members) of the RTBU who can care less about the happenings in the harbor and feel that those problems shouldn’t affect us. Its time to drop the KSea mentality now and forever… White/Red/Brown , Two Tone Green, and Grey are no longer.

Myself and lots of my shipmates want to be on the same playing field with the rest of the fleet. The RTBU wanted us to vote on a contract, pay dues, and to be apart of the team, but the rewards were different. If you want unity, that not a good way to start.