Risk and the sea...what is an acceptable level, (if there is one)?

I would think that a union contract would have some protection against firing without cause but I don’t know in this case.

In any case its hard to accept without questions the story about the steering and two tugs at face value.

EDIT: The original source of the story about the steering and the two tugs looks to be from Davidison’s wife testimony to the NTSB.

I see Capt. Kucharski was a party to that testimony.

Why do you think that’s significant?

I don’t know that it is. But he was here recently having taken a dislike to the part of the 1AE, so I found it interesting that he was actually a part of the investigation.

I also find it interesting that the name of the investigator on behalf of the CG is redacted. What’s the point of that? Such things ought to be public record, I would think.

The thread regarding LO levels? Wasn’t that forum member claiming to be a TOTE captain? This Kucharski looks to be NTSB?

He identified himself in the transcript as once-Captain of the Northern Light(s?). I think he’s mkucharski on here.

Yes, that thread.

Linkedin shows Kucharski was master for TOTE:

Permanent master on 3 roll-on-roll-off fast turnaround trailerships, managed by Interocean Mgt. Corp., plying the Puget Sound to Anchorage, AK, trade. Extensive experience in ice navigation, fog, heavy traffic, and extreme weather and sea conditions.

I don’t think that was capt RON?

1 Like

It wasn’t exactly the same scenario so I might be assuming too much and I might be remembering wrong.

Does your union contract prevent the company from exercising it’s “at will employment” right to fire you for any or no reason as long as it isn’t discrimination?

The company doesn’t have the right to fire me without cause because of the contract language.

In general the company tries to avoid directly firing senior officers because it’s a hassle for them. Same reason many captains try to avoid firing unlicensed crew, not worth the hassle.

Good. Maybe unions have a use after all.