Resume/Application: Kept on-file for how long?

I know this is going to vary from company to company, but perhaps I can get something out of this.
[ol]
[li]Does anyone know, approximately, how long maritime employers will keep an application on-file?[/li][li]Do they even keep them on-file, or do just toss them after a slot has been filled?[/li][/ol]

[QUOTE=PineappleOranges;183061]I know this is going to vary from company to company, but perhaps I can get something out of this.
[ol]
[li]Does anyone know, approximately, how long maritime employers will keep an application on-file?[/li][li]Do they even keep them on-file, or do just toss them after a slot has been filled?[/li][/ol][/QUOTE]
Read the fine print on the apps you are filling out…a lot will say how long they keep it on file. How well they practice it who knows?
I was on the job hunt recently…I was content where I was, in a historically secure position, and got laid off.(not a GOM job.) So anyway, I applied to a bunch of places. Most I couldn’t get a hold of anyone on the phone. I had a handful of responses by email saying my app has been reviewed and they’d get back to me. One company actually called me and said ‘we like what we see, call us back in a month.’ I then got an offer that paid wages I couldn’t possibly live on. Couple days later I had some luck. Although it pays wages I was making almost ten years ago, I can survive on it and incidentally its close to home…wasn’t expecting that. It was through an online app…and I always assumed those were a huge waste of time.
So anyway, to answer your question, anything is possible. Some apps may disappear into a black hole, some get reviewed and filed. Usually after you get a job, few months down the road someone else you applied to is going to call. Lastly, don’t assume you are wasting your time on an online app or applying somewhere because rumors say ‘they aren’t hiring.’ You may get lucky. Don’t be afraid to reach out by phone or in person.