Recency Question

Must a mariner be a paid member of a vessels’ crew to receive creditable service for recency?

No just the seatime letters and the time on a boat, you can get time on a friends boat ,if you want to work for free i am sure several companies in your area might help you out

[QUOTE=Mr 100-ton;18733]No just the seatime letters and the time on a boat, you can get time on a friends boat ,[/QUOTE]

Hmm, not sure that is the right answer. Even the USCG Small Vessel Sea Service Form says " vessel you [B]served [/B]on".

I’m not saying you have to get a paycheck, but I think you have to actually be part of the vessel crew. Let me do some more research (or hopefully get saved by Mr. Cavo) and get back to this post.

[quote=Capt. Fran;18755]Hmm, not sure that is the right answer. Even the USCG Small Vessel Sea Service Form says " vessel you [B]served [/B]on".

I’m not saying you have to get a paycheck, but I think you have to actually be part of the vessel crew. Let me do some more research (or hopefully get saved by Mr. Cavo) and get back to this post.[/quote]

The regulations on renewal specify sea [U][B]service[/B][/U] [emphasis added]. That has been interpreted to mean part of the vessel’s crew and not in an observer or supernumerary capacity.

Thanks, I appreciate the info. Is the same interpretation of service valid for an original license?

Yes, except for OUPV licenses when time on a recreational boat is permitted.