Real or BS? All TUGS soon will have to have at least one AB on them

Heard this was in the works??? USCG BS? or the real deal?

The new towing vessel inspection rules contained in subchapter “M” might have led one to believe that the new reg would or will require an AB. See this thread discussing a couple of issues regarding the new rules. http://gcaptain.com/forum/tugs-towing/7216-towing-vessel-inspection-subchapter-information-opinion.html

I hope so. I think tugs should have at least one AB.

I remember way back in the 333 good old days that is you got a Deckhand with less than 5 years experience the Captain was pissed that the company sent him a Green Deckhand. Now if you are lucky to get someone with 5 years experience they’re happy as a pig in shit as they are “seasoned”.

[QUOTE=Tugs;72042]I remember way back in the 333 good old days that is you got a Deckhand with less than 5 years experience the Captain was pissed that the company sent him a Green Deckhand. Now if you are lucky to get someone with 5 years experience they’re happy as a pig in shit as they are “seasoned”.[/QUOTE]

A deckhand with five years experience IS a seasoned veteran. If he doesn’t have it on the ball by then he should be slinging burgers for McD’s.

You get it or you don’t, that’s always been my M.O. For new guys.

Beyond the individuals capabilities, WHERE the AB got his experience means an awful lot.

I don’t mean this to be all encompassing but I worked with an very experienced Ferry AB that was useless on a Tug.
I’ve worked with many experienced OS’s from the Fishing Industry that were Top Shelf.

Skills from one segment of the maritime world don’t always transition well.