Rations for Mariners

My google-fu is not strong in this case. I am looking for the CFR that deals with providing sustenance to mariners aboard ship…how often, caloric content, etc.

Any help appreciated. Safe sailing!

I don’t recall any calorie chart. I do remember when signing articles, the posted Forecastle Card had a list of basic sustenance.

[QUOTE=Capngeorge537;55049]My google-fu is not strong in this case. I am looking for the CFR that deals with providing sustenance to mariners aboard ship…how often, caloric content, etc.

Any help appreciated. Safe sailing![/QUOTE]

46 U. S. Code 10303:

§ 10303. Provisions
(a) A seaman shall be served at least 3 meals a day that total at least 3,100 calories, including adequate water and adequate protein, vitamins, and minerals in accordance with the United States Recommended Daily Allowances.
(b) The text of subsection (a) of this section shall be included in the agreement required by section 10302 of this title. A copy of the text also shall be posted in a conspicuous place in the galley and forecastle of each vessel.
© This section does not apply to a fishing or whaling vessel or a yacht.

See also 46 U.S. Code 10302:

§ 10302. Shipping articles agreements
(a) The owner, charterer, managing operator, master, or individual in charge shall make a shipping agreement in writing with each seaman before the seaman commences employment.
(b) The agreement shall contain the following:

(6) a scale of the provisions that are to be provided each seaman.

Obviously, the above is only applicable on vessels and voyages to which the shipping articles requirements apply, see 46 CFR 14.201

Thank you for the reply

By what I see at the CSU we’re getting enough calories to melt an iceberg.