Railroader facing almost certain layoff

Well, I was looking for a job at sea last year when the Railroad found me first. I became a conductor for CSX and all was well until the economy took a dump. I have my MMD and will be getting my TWIC ASAP.

My question is do I have a chance of finding anything at all at sea in this economy and where should I start my search? Would it be possible to find anything with just an MMD and no training or should I seek some basic training of some sort first?

Im also hoping my time at the Railroad helps and not hinders my job finding. I know some companies will see Railroader on furlough and pass knowing he will return to the railroad as soon as the call to return to work comes. Anywhere else I might but I wanted a sailing job way before I found the Railroad.

Aw well, Here we go again!
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

CSX is hiring deckhands-check out their website. Must live locally.

Also- iIm down in Texas applying- LOTS of jobs for TWIC card holders at plants, docks, etc-all along the Gulf coast- haven’t had any luck with getting anything on a ship yet though.

Good luck-Anthony

OS, check out Signet Maritime, Corpus Christi Office. Good, small company but their pay is a little below average. I think they have pretty good benefits though.

A couple of suggestions I have are, Hercules Offshore, Liftboat division, Lafayette, LA. Call and talk to Jeff Jarrod or Teryl Ryder. (337) 560-8000.

Or, Superior Energy Services, Marine division, Harvey ,LA. Ask for David Lewis (504) 367-0858

The starting pay for an MMD, OS is probably a little better at Hercules but, they both have very good benifits. The typical work schedule is 14 days on/14 days off.

If you call Hercules, tell them Danny on board the “Swordfish” referred you.

If you call Superior, tell them Captain Darryl on the “Force” referred you.

[quote=jackupcapt2;7823]A couple of suggestions I have are, Hercules Offshore, Liftboat division, Lafayette, LA. Call and talk to Jeff Jarrod or Teryl Ryder. (337) 560-8000.

Or, Superior Energy Services, Marine division, Harvey ,LA. Ask for David Lewis (504) 367-0858

The starting pay for an MMD, OS is probably a little better at Hercules but, they both have very good benifits. The typical work schedule is 14 days on/14 days off.

If you call Hercules, tell them Danny on board the “Swordfish” referred you.

If you call Superior, tell them Captain Darryl on the “Force” referred you.[/quote]

Can anyone say Danny or Captain Darryl referred them?

Are you suffering from multiple personality disorder (may I hope the medical people at NMC don’t read this - OH I guess they don’t have time with their backlog!)

Thanks for the quick response all!

I couldnt find anything about the CSX ships and it seems neither of the two listed by jackupcapt are hiring right now. The girl at the phones for Hercules wouldnt even transfer me. I imagine these guys get a lot of calls for employment.

But im going to keep looking!
Thanks!

I’m assuming you had some spare time on your hands and that your multiple personality disorder crack was just a joke in reference to my using two differnt names when trying to help a guy looking for a job. Anyway, If you have better info for the CSX guy who’s in fear of losing his job, perhaps you can assist him.

quote=Robert;7843]Can anyone say Danny or Captain Darryl referred them?

Are you suffering from multiple personality disorder (may I hope the medical people at NMC don’t read this - OH I guess they don’t have time with their backlog!)[/quote]

Here was the lady I emailed at CSX. As I recall- the job was in Maysville KY.

Karen_Hill@CSX.com

Hope this helps-Anthony.