Questions about getting my AB Special. Thank You

I have worked for 3 years as a tender/commercial diver in the GOM with Cal Dive International. I am making a career change into the maritime industry. I definitely have the 360 sea days for my AB special and my old boat was 285 Gross Tons. Neither I or Cal Dive have a written record of those days nor do I have a MMD. The USCG said that if I had the master of the vessel or Cal Dive to write a letter on their letter head stating I had 360 days on a boat over 100 GT and that I was doing deck work, it would be acceptable. Does the letter need to just state that I have 360 Days OR my precise days which are not known?

Also

What certs or proficiencies do I need to get an actual good AB job in the GOM and abroad. I have heard and read " AB class, Proficiency in Survival Crafts and the 4 part Basic Safety Training"
Is that correct or can I sub one of those for a less expensive course that will have equally the same effect when searching for employment?

Thank you for any input,
Nathan Hughes.

you will also need RFPNW to work as an AB on a OSV for any of the big companies

[QUOTE=NathanHughes89;115261]… The USCG said that if I had the master of the vessel or Cal Dive to write a letter on their letter head stating I had 360 days on a boat over 100 GT…[/QUOTE]

The only AB endorsement with a tonnage requirement is AB limited, the rest don’t have a tonnage requirement.

This the sample format for the sea time letter. It does not indicate specific days, just a date range. Good luck.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/professional_qualifications/pdfs/sample_svc_letters.pdf

Thanks for the input guys! It turns out that the USCG says that sea time days are 8 hours long, and my shifts were 12 hours long. So I actually have more than enough time to upgrade the from AB special to AB Limited. However As of 2 days ago I got hired on in the ROV field. I am going to be doing that from now on but I still plan on getting my MMD and AB limited as a back up.

Thanks again!