Question about pay

If you work 2 weeks on, then 2 off at $140 per day that means only 1,960 per month right? I got offered a job at that rate and that schedule im thinking its hardly worth it?

Depends on how broke you are.

Im broke. But after taxes that will be about 1,200 per month. Then I have to pay my own way back home, thats 200$ each way. After airfare and income taxes I will only bring home about 1,200 per month. Wal Mart pays more then that!

Don’t know anything about your personal situation (age, house, car, wife/gf, kids etc.), but those numbers turn out at $25500/yr. I am assuming that you are starting out and getting your foot in the door. If you don’t have a mortgage and/or wife, live cheaper. For 26 weeks of the year, you aren’t partying, buying your own food, paying utilities, etc. That saves a lot of money. Have to look at all sides of the money angle in this biz. You don’t have to stay with these guys, but getting your foot in the door is all important. Oh, and from friends that work there, fall apart sucks.

There’s nothing wrong with being poor, but it can be damn inconvienent at times.

Well, I do have a wife and pay bills. On top of that im having to pay my own way there and back. But, I am getting my foot in the door…maybe this will lead to bigger and better things…

If you are Entry Level without prior seatime then 140 a day is not bad. If this will get you seatime toward an AB or QMED then consider it. You can always look for more money on your two week off.

I suppose its not too terribly bad, at least I found work. I leave tomorrow, wish me luck!

Best of luck Kenny. Keep a positive attitude. Remember that the 14/14 is the office’s fantasy. There are, quite often, opportunities to work over, especially if you let the office know that in advance. Sure, that cuts into your offtime, but it increases the bottom line.

Second seadog, best of luck.

hate to tell ya buddy but just starting out you have to eat a little shit and pay your dues. but take the low pay and soon enough it gets alot better. stick with it brother

$140 for someone new to the industry is not that bad. The 14/14 may not be the idea rotation with that pay but like stated above, got to pay the dues and eat a little crap. Time will fly and you will be able to take your AB and get more money.

Not many companies that I know of hire folks without a hookup or through a headhunter so feel lucky to have the job. Not telling you how to spend your money because I don’t know your situation but instead of spending $400 on plane tickets I would buy a gas saver and drive. You could pay for the gas and loan for $400 a month.

[QUOTE=AB Murph;40704]Time will fly and you will be able to take your AB and get more money.

Not many companies that I know of hire folks without a hookup or through a headhunter so feel lucky to have the job. Not telling you how to spend your money because I don’t know your situation but instead of spending $400 on plane tickets I would buy a gas saver and drive. You could pay for the gas and loan for $400 a month.[/QUOTE]

Plus you will have a car to drive to your training cause you ain’t moving up until you take some classes. A/B, Lifeboatman, BST, MROP. The harder you work, the luckier you will get.

[QUOTE=Kenny2428;40495]If you work 2 weeks on, then 2 off at $140 per day that means only 1,960 per month right? I got offered a job at that rate and that schedule im thinking its hardly worth it?[/QUOTE]

In 1992 I was making $55/day while trying to pay my way through college. Money was a big issue then and so was eating Ramen noodles as a major food group. Money was an issue for a while, but I learned very quickly that a raise was as simple as a little time and effort toward learning. Advancement was in your hands and not anyone else. You only needed a license - certainly, a finite goal. Not many industries can claim that - where advancement is tied to the whim of your superiors regardless of what certifications you have.
Fast forward till now as a Ship Master. My biggest concern is getting the new iphone and where I’m going for vacation this time around. Budget isn’t that much of an issue if I stay out of the strip clubs. On top of a mortgage, two new cars, and my many expensive hobbies, I do quite well. But, I did have to crawl before I could run.
You basically got offered what I did nearly 18 years ago. What do you wanna do? That’s up to you. You see what I did.

[U][I][B]but I learned very quickly that a raise was as simple as a little time and effort toward learning. Advancement was in your hands and not anyone else.[/B][/I][/U]

It must have been nice to have Capt Lee’s hand to hold through all that training.
:eek::eek::wink:

Think of this as a stepping stone towards a better career. To be honest it does sound like you are on the low end of pay (but any pay is better than NO pay!) but you are really lucky to even get a berth. Count this time up towards getting experience, and time under your belt, so you can move on, and UP to a better company, better pay, and advance your career. You may even find the company you are working for IS a good company once you have some time in there, and advance. You don’t mention the company, but sometimes you have to work for a month or two to get to full pay (off probationary pay) I don’t know if your company has this issue. You need 8 months sea time (which takes 16 months employment) to have enough sea time to get an A.B. That would be your next jump in pay.

As others mentioned, This is up to you how far, and what you make of it.

Thanks guys! Just returned home from my hitch, it was great! They have me working 28/14 now, and my next hitch I will work 42 days!! Btw, this isnt my first ship job, I worked 3 years as an OS on a cruiseliner. I have enough seatime to upgrade to a AB, which is what I will do very soon!

Congrats, get your AB and don’t forget to update your resume while you are waiting. Opportunity knocks at the oddest times.