Professional Yacht Masters Stories

Ha Ha … been working on and with megayachts all over the world since coming ashore 12 years ago. And that follows leaving the left seat of a Part 121 carrier to take a RRF ship to the first Gulf War.

1 Like

“… fly the thing as far into the crash as possible.”

Been there, done that. Result of engine failure over the foothills of the Sierras east of Auburn, California a few years ago.

Would have been nothing if I had seen the barbed wire fence that caught the gear and dragged the nose down onto the upslope. Was pretty much out of energy at that point anyway so no personal damage.

Departing a yacht by air: https://youtu.be/h7QNTPlWu1w

1 Like

Also, aim for the least expensive, softest thing around.

Gentlemen & ladies please no more aircraft anicdotes. Real stories of interesting experiences while crewing large yachts.
Minimum 1000 words max 3000 words
I already have many but not enough to justify publishing. Do not worry if you cannot write well we will edit as appropriate

Have you considered editing “anicdotes”.

3 Likes

When you buy the site you can decide what gets posted. If flying around yachts get the most posts then it’s a flying thread.

When you pay for contributions then you can decide what content you pay for.

4 Likes

As long as we’re in flying mode, here’s Gentleman Bob for those who don’t know him having fun in his Aero Commander. Both engines out maneuvers from 5:30 to the end.

PS. The Commander not designed nor certified for aerobatics.

2 Likes

I watched him perform at an airshow in the mid 90s doing amazing $h!+ in a Shrike Commander…all with zero engine power, just the energy from his dive. Being a mariner I can’t judge how edgy it actually was, but dang cool nonetheless. My ex-wife was a pilot and she was impressed so…there was something to it lol.

But it was designed and certificated to G limits of +6.6 and -2.7. Far beyond that of the highly “impressive” Falcon.

Not that that matters, Hoover was an incredibly talented aviator. He understood the concepts of energy management and smooth control inputs. His was a true “seat of the pants” approach to that airshow routine that was tempered by unmatched technical skills and a lifetime of practicing the art of flight. He was skilled far beyond most airplane drivers.

2 Likes

Not only that but he was very humble and deserved his moniker as Gentleman Bob.I got to hang out with him when I was a 20 year old flight instructor at Santa Monica Municipal airport and even though he was a god to me, he treated me like a friend on equal terms.

2 Likes

do you want stories like the steward that became a captain and pulled the shafts out of a certain feadship, twice.
Antibes parked yacht in the 90’s
what are you after, sinkings, crashes, death?
or life as a single crew and my boss co owns a modelling agency?

Yes anything like that with a touch of truth about it.
thx

This is my touch of truth about it:
I’ve got plenty of stories but since retiring as a mariner I supplement my retirement income as a professional freelance writer and editor and get paid good money for my work.
My yard could use some beautification. I wonder what kind of response I would get if I went on a gardening forum and solicited people to come and spruce it up for free.

4 Likes

Why not go to Antibes or Fort Lauderdale or Sint Maarten and do some interviews like a real writer or researcher would do?

You want yachtie stories, go to the yachties and be prepared to buy a few drinks and form some relationships.

3 Likes

Or, if you’re brave, show up on Sailing Anarchy with your request. You don’t have to thank me, just give me enough warning to prepare the popcorn :sunglasses:

Cheers,

Earl

1 Like

Oh do this!
They love helping n00bs with silly requests and are very polite :wink:

1 Like