Policy 11-07

Here is even better one: while holding master 1600 oceans, can I apply for a mate 1600 and then get the 3rd agt?
Why not?..right :slight_smile:

What’s really crazy is that I was able to make the move with a 500t masters license at the time. I sailed as AB to get the unlimited time. But if I had held a 1600t masters license I would have to have tested again to get UL 3rds. Makes no sense!

Sounds logical to me

Unfortunately, It does not sound logical to the policy makers in DC, when you ask the WV they tell you …“its not us, we just follow the CFRs”…

Yes Sir, my point exactly! What does my mate know that I don’t know? Aren’t we the ones who trained them?

[QUOTE=GYRO;90189]Here is even better one: while holding master 1600 oceans, can I apply for a mate 1600 and then get the 3rd agt?
Why not?..right :)[/QUOTE]

You can, but you’re going to take a test for mate 1600. That back door is closed.

The reason is that when the mate 500 and mate 1600 exams were combined with those for 2nd mate and 3rd mate, additional subjects were added to the exam. Thoise additional subjects are required for 3rd mate, but not for master1600. So as a Master 1600, you have never been tested on all of the subjects needed for3rd mate, but the guy who took mate 1600 after 2/1/02 has been tested on them. So he doesn’t take the test (again), but you do.

[QUOTE=GYRO;90185]Why is it that under 11-07, 1600 mate can get 3rd unlimited with no additional testing but when master asks for that he has to test? I am not picking a fight here, just trying to understand it.[/QUOTE]

You can, but you’re going to take a test for mate 1600. That back door is closed.

The reason is that when the mate 500 and mate 1600 exams were combined with those for 2nd mate and 3rd mate, additional subjects were added to the exam. Those additional subjects are required for 3rd mate, but not for master1600. So as a Master 1600, you have never been tested on all of the subjects needed for3rd mate, but the guy who took mate 1600 after 2/1/02 has been tested on them. So he doesn’t take the test (again), but you do.

As for applyng for mate 1600, then 3rd mate./ Sure, you can do that. But you will have to test for 3rd mate, that back door is closed.

Are you saying that testing for Mate 1600 is more complexed than the test for Master 1600? And if that is the case, why not limited examination to go from Master 1600 to 3rd Mate AGT …similar to what 2 Mate AGT has to go thru to get Master 1600?..

Appreciate your input!

[QUOTE=“GYRO;90213”]

Are you saying that testing for Mate 1600 is more complexed than the test for Master 1600? And if that is the case, why not limited examination to go from Master 1600 to 3rd Mate AGT …similar to what 2 Mate AGT has to go thru to get Master 1600?..

Appreciate your input![/QUOTE]

There are subjects on the mate that aren’t on the master and there are subjects on the master that aren’t on the mate.

There should be a cross over exam like second mate to 1600 ton master but that’s the way the CFRs are so we are screwed.

Amen to that brother…

You know, that’s a good point. There really should be a crossover exam. The way it is now, it seems like the CG is saying the 1600 masters is easier than the 500 mate (in a round about way)

[QUOTE=ryanwood86;90220]You know, that’s a good point. There really should be a crossover exam. The way it is now, it seems like the CG is saying the 1600 masters is easier than the 500 mate (in a round about way)[/QUOTE]

Okay, everybody agrees, there should be a crossover exam, but how do we make it happen? Maybe Mr [B]jdcavo[/B] can give us specfic instructions on how we can get the Mariner Center to offer this exam.

I agree with ^^^^ how do we make this happen!

I second that notion !!!

My signature on line three of the petition!

Shove this thread back up to the top.

Anyone want to chime in on the process for the exam we have discussed? What would it take to have the Coast Guard Maritime Ctr offer an limited exam for 1600 Masters to get thier 3m unlimited?

It is nothing unusual for a Mariner to go 100 to 200 to 500/1600 master to master. Then after years and years of sailing, you have to take the entire exam all over again to get your 3rd Mate unlimited? Something seems wrong here.

SO…Do we call our congressman?, March outside the White House? What is the steps needed to have the CG offer a limited exam? Suggestions anyone?

Ocean

[QUOTE=“Ocean31;90997”]Shove this thread back up to the top.

Anyone want to chime in on the process for the exam we have discussed? What would it take to have the Coast Guard Maritime Ctr offer an limited exam for 1600 Masters to get thier 3m unlimited?

It is nothing unusual for a Mariner to go 100 to 200 to 500/1600 master to master. Then after years and years of sailing, you have to take the entire exam all over again to get your 3rd Mate unlimited? Something seems wrong here.

SO…Do we call our congressman?, March outside the White House? What is the steps needed to have the CG offer a limited exam? Suggestions anyone?

Ocean[/QUOTE]

Mr. Cavo, would you point us in the right direction?