Pictures of Ships, Tugs, Off Shore Rigs, Barges, and those who work them

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;129479]Just had a brain fart, you can add Holywood towing or transportation and all the old Exxon Sea/River inland tugs and barges to the list that Kirby bought as well. There are more, I just have to think a little harder.[/QUOTE]

I think they also bought Rio marine.

[HR][/HR][ATTACH=CONFIG]3853[/ATTACH]

Long story…I was an unsupervised Superintendent on the other side of the world

I did get a phone call when they found out the I painted the wheel blue.

[QUOTE=delphi;130391]Long story…I was an unsupervised Superintendent on the other side of the world

I did get a phone call when they found out the painted the wheel blue.[/QUOTE]

There’s a first time for everything… Stranger things have happened.

Been awhile. Here is the OSG INTREPID at Corpus Christi over the weekend.

• Updated - - -

And the M/V: FLORIDA, also at Corpus.

[QUOTE=cmakin;130427]Been awhile. Here is the OSG INTREPID at Corpus Christi over the weekend.

url][/QUOTE]

That is one of the old Maritrans tugs that was sister ships to the Dixie Carriers units. Tough old boats and very good tugs for pushing barges. Brings back some old memories. Probably one of the first tugs to be converted to the Intercon system.

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;130452]That is one of the old Maritrans tugs that was sister ships to the Dixie Carriers units. Tough old boats and very good tugs for pushing barges. Brings back some old memories. Probably one of the first tugs to be converted to the Intercon system.[/QUOTE]

It has come up in a FB conversation, and it was the first one with an Intercon installation. If I had ever sailed with one of those, I might have thought better of the ATB type connection. My many years with a first generation Bludworth unit has permanently scarred me. . . .

• Updated - - -

M/V: CYGNUS inbound at Corpus, tug ROSEMARY made fast on the stern.

DSC_5048 by cmakin, on Flickr

• Updated - - -

And one of the ROSEMARY

DSC_5052 by cmakin, on Flickr

Anybody know what the story is with the Lauren Foss towing the USS Forrestal out of Philadelphia a week or two ago?

Is she being scrapped? I saw another thing, not sure if it was just sarcasm or not, that said the Lauren was going to the scrap yard herself as well. I’d be real interested to know the backstory here. FULL DISCLOSURE: this picture came from the TUGBOATINFORMATION.COM Facebook page, it is NOT MINE. If this is your photograph and you’re offended that I used it, please PM me and I will take it down.

[QUOTE=ChiefRob;130452]That is one of the old Maritrans tugs that was sister ships to the Dixie Carriers units. Tough old boats and very good tugs for pushing barges. Brings back some old memories. Probably one of the first tugs to be converted to the Intercon system.[/QUOTE]

The Intrepid was the first InterCon Vessel. Unlike the systems used today hers was installed in pieces which led to her cracking in some unusual places. She sounded like a sailing ship sometimes when we were pushing in 15-20 seas.

The USS Forrestal is headed to Brownsville, TX. One way trip.

The Forestall is heading to brownsville. The Lauren isnt that old I dont think. I dont know why they would scrap her so soon. I towed a ship down there once and it was strongly inferred that the tug we towed it down with would be sharing its fate.

lauren isn’t being scrapped just the carrier.

To this day I still find it weird that it was John McCain’s plane that set her ablaze all those years ago. I guess it’s somehow ironic that all these years later he’s now a big famous senator and former presidential candidate. It’s not that I think he had anything to do with it, it was just a total freak accident, but it’s still strange that an event of such magnitude can be connected across so many decades with a now very important senator. It’s strange the places people come from and end up.

Baltika, the Russian rescue ship that can break ice sideways, leaving for sea trials this morning. More photos at ShipSpotting.com.

Bubble net feeding in SE Alaska with the S.S. Legacy (formerly the Spirit of '98) in the background.

I was down on the Island during the week with my good camera. Got a couple of shots to add.

LIBERTY EAGLE, GREAT BRIGHT AND CASTORONE.

• Updated - - -

ENSCO 8500

• Updated - - -

Tug VOLUNTEER and Barge DBL105.

I was wondering if anyone has some pictures of the Sun Tide and the Moon Tide. I saw those boats back in the early 80’s and I always thought the were good looking boats. I can’t find any pictures on the web. Thanks

^^^ I sailed on Sun Tide in 93 up in Cook Inlet, AK. No pictures with me but when I get home I might be able to dig a few out. I hear its been scrapped. Give me till end of May

QUOTE=salt’n steel;136431]^^^ I sailed on Sun Tide in 93 up in Cook Inlet, AK. No pictures with me but when I get home I might be able to dig a few out. I hear its been scrapped. Give me till end of May[/QUOTE]

Thank you

3 wide up bound on the Mississippi River just below Sixty Mile Point Tuesday afternoon. One ship was doing 13.6 and the other 13.5, both overtaking me. Kind of like when a tractor trailer cuts you off on the highway as it tries to pass another eighteen wheeler, on a hill.

This is what it use to be like ~ Alas it’s gone with the wind.

The Port of Naples with Vesuvius in the background.

American-Export Lines vessel the SS “Extavia” steaming out of the Port of Naples.