Pictures of Ships, Tugs, Off Shore Rigs, Barges, and those who work them

M/S Odin - That’s a powerful name, Kixt. :smiley:

Thanks for sharing these great pictures ~

Yeah, I love the name. Bergersen company tended to have either norske gods names on their ships or hav-name. Hav in norwegian means sea.

[QUOTE=“capbubba”][/QUOTE]

An average week at STCO.

[ATTACH]3349[/ATTACH]

Sunset at Roosevelt WA.

Who bought that AmNav push tug?

Bernert Barge Lines. That picture was taken at The Dalles, ORE.

[QUOTE=capbubba;107122]Bernert Barge Lines. That picture was taken at The Dalles, ORE.[/QUOTE]

Say, capbubba, ever stay at a motel in The Dalles called [I]Cousin’s[/I]?

Can’t say I have usually just drive by on a boat. From time to time me & the wife hit the tasting rooms in the area:-)

[QUOTE=capbubba;107131]Can’t say I have usually just drive by on a boat. From time to time me & the wife hit the tasting rooms in the area:-)[/QUOTE]

A tad hookey but fun. The motel accepts family dogs so that’s how my family found it. I often was discharged in Portland, The Dalles was the stopping off point on our way home.

http://www.cousinsthedalles.com/

Right on, I have dogs so will keep it in mind.

[QUOTE=capbubba;107140]Right on, I have dogs so will keep it in mind.[/QUOTE]

Say, those are cuties.

Best phone the motel first, it’s been awhile since I was there and things always change. I use to have a directory of good motels which welcome dogs. I bet you can locate one on line.

Today was the maritime festival tugboat races in Seattle. A couple pics of the action for all.

[ATTACH]3425[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3426[/ATTACH]

Does anyone recognize this old girl?

I was just perusing New York harbor on MarineTraffic.com last night and saw this sweet old thing tied up at the “Global Marine Terminal” in Bayonne, New Jersey. If you enter the coordinates 40.661568,-74.072332 into google maps, and switch to satellite imagery, she shop pop right up. From the looks of things she is a 1960’s/1970’s-era box boat. You don’t see too many like her floating around these days. I know it’s not much to go on, but I was wondering if anyone knew who she was.

Horizon line POS most likely. That’s all I’m thinking. And If you look in Brooklyn the old ship laid up there is the Loujane or something spelled very closely. Stickship.

[QUOTE=z-drive;109073]Horizon line POS most likely. That’s all I’m thinking. And If you look in Brooklyn the old ship laid up there is the Loujane or something spelled very closely. Stickship.[/QUOTE]

Hit the nail on the head! I was just reading Tugster and in the background of this wide-angle shot of the OSG Vision was this suspiciously familiar Horizon Lines box ship.

So I googled the name “Horizon Discovery” and her profile shot is very similar to the image from google maps. I think we nailed it.

They might be old rust buckets, and Horizon Lines might be a junky operation, but there’s just something alluring about these ships’ lines. Maybe I’m crazy but as box-boats go I think many of Horizon’s old boats are far more attractive vessels than any old “Emma Maersk” or “APL Southampton

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;109280]Hit the nail on the head! I was just reading Tugster and in the background of this wide-angle shot of the OSG Vision was this suspiciously familiar Horizon Lines box ship.

So I googled the name “Horizon Discovery” and her profile shot is very similar to the image from google maps. I think we nailed it.

They might be old rust buckets, and Horizon Lines might be a junky operation, but there’s just something alluring about these ships’ lines. Maybe I’m crazy but as box-boats go I think many of Horizon’s old boats are far more attractive vessels than any old[/QUOTE]

Two notes:

1. The “Discovery” is one of the last of the famed US Lines “Lancer” class containerships. She was built as the “American Liberty” in 1968 at Sun Ship. These were some of the first generation box boats built.

2. You will note the tug pushing the sand & gravel scow on the right side of the frame. This is the single screw tug “Thomas Brown” and if you will look closely, you will NOT see any pushing gear. There are some outstanding boat handlers working for Brown and it is very common to see them pushing scows around the harbor on a headline only.

Tug Willamette assisting ATB Pride into oil docks in Portland, ORE.

[ATTACH]3441[/ATTACH]

Three tugs?

Twin-screwing against a tug is pretty advanced stuff, those non-Tugboat ATB guys don’t mess with that witchcraft.

Ha ha yah I have helped that same setup in Seattle with 2 assist tugs and a empty barge…just scratched my head deep in thought. But it’s cheap insurance.

[ATTACH]3442[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3443[/ATTACH]

My job last night