Current holding a 3rd Mate Unlimited NC and the vessel is heading to South America. Assuming I pass the Oceans exam on my off time is there any kind of waiver or document I can get to keep me eligible to hold my current position on board because I’m assuming with the current turnaround times at NMC I will not have the sticker in my book by the time I’m due to come back. Any help appreciated.
Pretty sure that’s a hard no on that one. No sticker, no valid license. The STCW gap closing, to my knowledge, is the only free pass people are getting on the NMC delays.
Now, that doesn’t mean you can’t sail in your position once it gets there… just that you can’t make the transit. Or at least that’s my understanding and several OSV operating companies’ interpretation of the regs.
As previously stated, you are not legal until you receive the sticker.
More importantly, where are you in the application process? If you are already approved to test, I think you have already cleared the biggest backlog,
“being evaluated PQEB.” Once you pass your exams, it should be approved and printed relatively quickly. If you test right away, you could make it. You can also provide NMC with a prepaid fedex overnight, which will get it to you even faster.
[QUOTE=jbtam99;194195]Now, that doesn’t mean you can’t sail in your position once it gets there… just that you can’t make the transit. Or at least that’s my understanding and several OSV operating companies’ interpretation of the regs.[/QUOTE]
Depends on where he is going and the route…In theory he could even be legal to make the entire trip,or not.
46 CFR 10.107
[I]-Near-coastal means[/I] ocean waters not more than 200 miles offshore from the U.S. and its possessions, except for MMCs endorsed as Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel for which near-coastal is limited to waters not more than 100 miles offshore from the U.S. and its possessions. This would also include those near-coastal waters identified by another Administration when the U.S. has entered into a treaty or an agreement with that country respecting the recognition of the U.S. near-coastal endorsement.
Yeah, regardless the boat won’t be on a near coastal transit, unless you know an American territory in “South America” where his destination is. That’ll be an international voyage, and correct me if I’m wrong, but that means you need an Oceans endorsement, right?
Thanks for the input fellas. The Vessel will transit after I Crew change to Guyana. I will not be making the trip. When I come back it will be the usual work within 100-150 miles of the beach. My ATT App was cleared through Mandeville last week and that’s the only notification I’ve received so far. I’m assuming a 5-6 week turn around which puts me around the 2nd week of February. I Crew change around March 1st. It will be close but I think I should be able to pull it off if I pass straight away my first attempt.
Yeah, as long as you aren’t making the transit, you’ll be fine once the boat gets to Guyana.
Good luck on the test!