Paid for drills when off duty?

So you’re asleep and your shipmate comes and wakes you up, “Drills, 15 minutes.” You get up from your three hours sleep you were going to get and report for drills.
My understanding is this was not paid work, for whatever reason/exemption, you just dont get paid for working drills when you were off duty and i feel like I have read that before.
Yesterday someone asked me the same thing, “Shouldn’t we be getting paid for drills?” (and of course in a perfect world we should be) but I dont think so because I have read this somewhere before.

Can someone please point me to the C.F.R thats states we do/dont get paid for drills?

(I have been searching for it for 10 hours now and just thought another mariner would know)

Thanks a bunch, safe sailin to ya!

As far as I know, no OT for drills is just (every) company policy. The only thing the CFRs say is, the time you’re awake for drills doesn’t count against your required rest hours.

there is nothing whatsoever in the CFR’s concerning how seamen are paid or for what specifically…that was traditionally always stipulated in the Shipping Articles of Agreement or any contract such as between the seafarer’s union and shipowner. To the best of my knowledge there has never been extra pay given for attending drills at least never on any vessel I have served aboard in 30 years.

just look at how many ways a mariner can be paid

1. flat dayrate w/ no OT provisions
  2. dayrate + OT
  3. hourly
  4. salary

I believe SUP sailors get overtime if drills go beyond one hour.

CFR 29 783.47

Off-duty periods.
Off-duty periods include not only such periods as shore leave but also generally those hours spent by a seaman on the vessel outside his watch or normal or regular working hours and his standby periods during which hours he is not required to perform and does not perform work of any kind but is free to utilize his time for his own purpose. The fact that during such off-duty periods the employee is subject to call in case of emergency situations affecting the safety and welfare of the vessel upon which he is employed, or of its passengers, crew, or cargo or for participation in life boat or fire drills will not render such off-duty periods, excluded by employment agreement applicable to the employee, “hours worked”. Responding to such calls, however, as well as the performance of work in response thereto constitute compensable work time.

This is all I can find on the matter and to me this reads, off-duty times you are subject to respond to emergencies and drills and this will not be counted as hours worked. However the last sentence seems to be contradictory, as responding to such calls is time thats due compensation. Comments??

If you are only getting 3 hours of sleep per day you may have other issues.

I get paid for drills off watch. In the minority I know but it isn’t unheard of.

You just spent 10 hrs looking for something that I don’t think exist, get some sleep. No, generally you don’t get paid for drills at sea. I never did and I never paid for drills when master either.

Depends on the company I guess. I’ve gotten paid OT for drills off watch at every company I’ve worked for. And OT for random drug tests off watch

Indeed, it just depends.

[QUOTE=raincenter;113309]This is all I can find on the matter and to me this reads, off-duty times you are subject to respond to emergencies and drills and this will not be counted as hours worked. However the last sentence seems to be contradictory, as responding to such calls is time thats due compensation. Comments??[/QUOTE]

again, it all depends on how one’s pay is structured and the nature of the agreement made with the master/company. Lot’s of vessels out there have NO overtime compensation even if you have to perform duties outside of regular watch periods. Even when I was AMO there was no OT for drills and I never responded to a bona fide emergency off duty so never tested whether I could claim any then either.

[QUOTE=raincenter;113298]So you’re asleep and your shipmate comes and wakes you up, “Drills, 15 minutes.” You get up from your three hours sleep you were going to get and report for drills.
My understanding is this was not paid work, for whatever reason/exemption, you just dont get paid for working drills when you were off duty and i feel like I have read that before.
Yesterday someone asked me the same thing, “Shouldn’t we be getting paid for drills?” (and of course in a perfect world we should be) but I dont think so because I have read this somewhere before.

Can someone please point me to the C.F.R thats states we do/dont get paid for drills?

(I have been searching for it for 10 hours now and just thought another mariner would know)

Thanks a bunch, safe sailin to ya![/QUOTE]

It’s not in the CFR. Look at your contract or whatever passes for one (i.e. company policy).

In my experience under union contracts, drills were not paid per se, but if you were working OT before and after, the drill time was included as your OT hours.

MFOW Electrician has it right about SUP. they do get OT if the drills last over one hour. Otherwise I’ve never heard of anyone getting paid for drill. So pull those big girl panties up and suck it up.

Overtime??? What’s that? Only overtime I get is when crew change is late.

Most companies,except MSC, do not have 3 hour drills. MSC has drills for 1/2 the day sometimes. No wonder they have trouble getting help. I personally went to a 3 hour CBR drill in 1985 on an MSC unrep tanker and wasn’t paid on cent extra, (in 1985 we called the drill NBC not CBR).