Oklahoma any advice?

Hi everyone,i will be moving to Lawton Oklahoma this next week and i just want to know where i can look,obviously i know that there’s no companies in there but at least i’m not in Puerto Rico where i don’t have the opportunity of looking for jobs any advice please.:confused:

is hard to leave your country but this is my goal i know that i’m not the only one trying to break in this industry as OS but i look forward to that day where everyone from OS to mates finally get jobs, i don’t give up.

Oklahoma? You know, if you had moved to Nebraska you might have found yourself a bit farther away from the Atlantic or Pacific. But not by much.

New OS? get your credentials first then start hitting the tug companies.

buenos suertes.

[quote=richard8000milesaway;28767]Oklahoma? You know, if you had moved to Nebraska you might have found yourself a bit farther away from the Atlantic or Pacific. But not by much.

New OS? get your credentials first then start hitting the tug companies.

buenos suertes.[/quote] Yes i already have my MMC(OS),Twic,STCW,Passport moving to have a better opportunity of getting a job,Thanks amigo:)

in that case, Helix ESG is hiring especially if you’re bi-lingual spanish/english.

[quote=richard8000milesaway;28772]in that case, Helix ESG is hiring especially if you’re bi-lingual spanish/english.[/quote] where i can apply?? i’m interested, thanks by the way :slight_smile:

Check craigslist.org to find a place to stay- jobs- etc.Do you have your heart set on Oklahoma? Why Lawton? Houston might be a better place- if you’re moving looking for work…

[quote=Ordinaryseaman;28782]Check craigslist.org to find a place to stay- jobs- etc.Do you have your heart set on Oklahoma? Why Lawton? Houston might be a better place- if you’re moving looking for work…[/quote] i’m going to lawton because i have a friend in Fort Sill and he gonna help me,first i will take any job to pay rent and food after that start to see my options,i was kind of rejected in piney point school but if don’t find any job in a few months i would like to go to any school maybe tongue point but that is for people with problems lol i’m a nice guy :slight_smile: but i need other options,i would like even to volunteer to work for free after all i need sea time,in that way i can get my ab and join any union i’m not for the money i just want to be at sea and see the world :smiley:

Houston is near from oklahoma right??

Yes and no. Texas is next to Oklhoma- but Texas is a big state. WAY bigger than Puerto Rico.

Houston is the closest big port on the Gulf of Mexico. It’s also one of the cheaper big cities to live in- and there are several big maritime companies here- such as Kirby. Plus- you have Louisiana close by- lots of companies and boats out of there. You have a union hall (SIU).

Other pluses- it’s warmer in the winter… closer to the weather on your island…

You’re near the beach… Galveston is pretty nice.

Big airport- cheaper to fly in and out of…

Coast Guard REC here…

TWIC office…

Maritime Training- Houston Marine- plus lots of places close by

And I don’t think Texas has a state income tax (not sure)

Downsides? More rain…
Big city- crowded…
You have be careful in certain areas- which is true in any big city.

Anthony

Try www.[B]mercyships.org Their offices are in NE Texas, not too far from Lawton.[/B]

Richard, I was just on Helix ESG’s site, and couldn’t find any open positions. Can you point me in the right direction? Thx -Andy

My name is Tracey Bartula and I am the Technical Staffing and Recruitment Manager with Mercy Ships! I would be happy to answer any questions you may have about volunteering as a Mariner with us! You can reach me at tracey.bartula@mercyships.org.
Looking forward to hearing from you!

There are tug and barges working the Arkansas River in Oklahoma, I remember that one of them took out the I-40 overpass.
http://www.magnoliamarine.com/employment.php