Near Coastal Question?

[QUOTE=jdcavo;119476]On a U.S. vessel, you need to have a license (“ooficer endorsement” in the MMC) regardless of where the vessel is operating. If it is where STCW applies, you need both. The STCW alone isn’t enough. On a foreign vessel, you need documents isued by the flag of the vessel.

When NMC refers to “international endorsements” they mean STCW. We have asked them to stop referring to it by that name and call it STCW endorsement as their term is not commonly known by the people they issue the documents to.

The “domestic endorsements” are the old license, now called an “officer endorsement” and the unlicensed ratings that used to appear on the merchant’s mariner document or z-card. This too adds more confusion, the correct terms of “officer endorsement” are still new (I still use “license”), there’s no need to confuse things further by introducing nrew terms that are not defined in 46 CFR 10.107.[/QUOTE]

It is confusing to call something “international” when it is required for a domestic coastwise voyage.

You’re saying that without the so-called domestic part, the STCW portion is not valid as it has no officer endorsement. That makes sense but it’s not reflected very well in the wording, mine says:

The lawful holder of this credential [full name] as endorsed below is entitled under Title 46 (Shipping) U.S. Code to serve in the capacity of capacities specified (Domestic Only). subject to the limitations indicated.

The STCW page has exactly the same language with the exception that the words (Domestic Only) are omitted . You know more about this the I do but I don’t see any indication on the STCW section that indicates it’s not a stand-alone document.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;119477]It is confusing to call something “international” when it is required for a domestic coastwise voyage.

You’re saying that without the so-called domestic part, the STCW portion is not valid as it has no officer endorsement. That makes sense but it’s not reflected very well in the wording, mine says:

The lawful holder of this credential [full name] as endorsed below is entitled under Title 46 (Shipping) U.S. Code to serve in the capacity of capacities specified (Domestic Only). subject to the limitations indicated.

The STCW page has exactly the same language with the exception that the words (Domestic Only) are omitted . You know more about this the I do but I don’t see any indication on the STCW section that indicates it’s not a stand-alone document.[/QUOTE]

It’s probably a moot issue as you can’t get an STCW endorsement without having the corresponding license or rating endorsement. But the relevant manning provisions in 46 CFR Part 15 regarding licensed personnel do not exclude applicability on international voyages.