NC vs. Oceans

Anyone know the real difference between the C/E Ltd exams? It seems strange to me that just a route difference would be considered a raise in grade. Frankly, I can’t really figure out what different body of knowledge you need to go 201 mi offshore instead of 199. I had heard that a lot of it was related to watermaking but why would you need a whole new exam series for that instead of just the General?

[QUOTE=KPEngineer;52920]Anyone know the real difference between the C/E Ltd exams? [/QUOTE]

Probably only some guy at NMC.

If you look at the exam guides it appears that a near coastal limited chief takes an electricity exam described as near coastal while the oceans candidate takes an electricity exam that includes electronics and automation. Everyone else in the limited world just takes electricity.

Maybe it has something to do with the length of extension cords or something.

1 Like

I took the unlimited C/E exams back in December and to be honest I could not tell the difference between them and the 3AE. Maybe cause I studied the same book? I don’t know.

It seems an unnecessary distinction to me. There is plenty of electronics and automation on harbor/inland boats these days. Of course, I have plenty of suggestions for the USCG :wink:

[QUOTE=brjones;52922]I took the unlimited C/E exams back in December and to be honest I could not tell the difference between them and the 3AE. Maybe cause I studied the same book? I don’t know.[/QUOTE]
I used the hawespipe.net disk to study for my 2A/E. Its all one disk, 3rd-Chief, but based on the questions I got on the disk and what I got on the exam the disk is very 3rd oriented.

I used the Mass books. I also used for seasources.net, which I used for some practice test. Most of seasources is good, but it had some wrong answer’s which is actually good because the same goes for some of the USCG questions…lol

Sadly its not even worth protesting questions hardly. I had some that I knew they wanted the wrong answer but its easier to just give them they answer they want and move on since hopefully you pass and then they don’t even look at their protest sheets. I asked the proctor in Balt if I could protest the whole test since according to the MSM I shouldn’t even be having to take it anyway. She thought it was funny but said no. Oh well.

I thought the electrical was ridiculously out of date. I still have my textbook from KP and you can tell the guy who wrote the book also wrote the test. Half of the drawings are right out of the book and even some of the wording of the questions was almost word for word out of the book. The book was written in 1959.

[QUOTE=KPEngineer;52933]
I thought the electrical was ridiculously out of date. I still have my textbook from KP and you can tell the guy who wrote the book also wrote the test. Half of the drawings are right out of the book and even some of the wording of the questions was almost word for word out of the book. The book was written in 1959.[/QUOTE]
My electricians exam in '71 was archaic. Carbon pile regulators and such but still E=IR. The electrical part of my 2nd, 1st and Chief exams in the early '80s was not really up to date.

Does the current question pool include relevant subjects such as current loops and ladder logic?

There was some diesel electric, current loops and ladder logic. There was also vacuum tubes and some repair stuff geared towards very large electric machines right out of my 1959 book.
It had obviously been updated some, but it could use some more in my opinion. I suppose there is still some archaic machinery out there but I would think most people licensed in the US aren’t sailing on them. Whatever 50s era ships left are probably doing coastal tramp runs for some local outfit in Vietnam or something.

I had a handful of cpp electronics on my juice exam. Along with the typical ladder logic and resistor identification.

hello guys !! i just got approved by uscg to take my unlimited DDE any references of study material should i use? i dont know were to start studying ! can i have some tips how to pass the test? thank you so much for a reply!!

I had a handful of cpp electronics on my juice exam. Along with the typical ladder logic and resistor identification.

Whenever we find an incorrect answer from the question database it is reported to the NMC and corrected in the SeaSources database as well as the NMC database. We have been doing that for years and have corrected many questions and answers in the process.

Hubert?