Navy equivalent

Does anyone remember seeing a passage that says something like, an E-4 Petty Officer is equivalent to mates duties, in the Merchant sector? I’m almost positive it was in the USCG MSM…I have scoured all volumes and cannot locate it…Any help?? Thanks

I don’t recall that but volume III of the MSM in Figure 2-1 does list the sea service by ratings which can be considered for license qualifications. It breaks it down by Deck, QMED and others.

Thanks Robert, It’s in Vol III …For some reason I encounter a problem with my computer ,that doesn’t allow me to see the whole thing…And I think the passage that I am after, was how E4 's were considered the equiv. to AB’s…

I didn’t read this but for what it’s worth My dad whom is a 1600 ton master, told me when he got out of the USCG as a BMC A bous’n crossed over to an AB. O’s who went to the acadamy crossed over to master’s and mates.

Chapter 2 does say that Deck rating of E-4 and above with qualifications as DWO is equivalent to licensed mate time.

Here is the exact wording:
[I]
Enlisted Personnel Applying For Licenses. Evaluation of sea service is more complex for enlisted personnel than it is for officers. This is due to the great variety of specialized duties that enlisted personnel perform. When evaluating underway sea service, use the following guidelines:

(1)[B] Service as a seaman apprentice (SA) or seaman (SN) is equivalent to sea service as an ordinary seaman or deckhand;[/B]

(2) Service as fireman apprentice (FA) or fireman (FN) is equivalent to sea service as a wiper or coal passer;

(3) [B]Service as a petty officer in the deck department is considered equivalent to that of an AB; and[/B]

(4) Service as a petty officer in the engineering department is considered equivalent to that of a QMED.

(5) [B]Deck rating of E-4 and above with qualifications as DWO is equivalent to licensed mate time.
[/B]
(6) [B]Service experience obtained as a junior officer of the deck (JOOD) is considered equivalent (on a one-for-one basis) to able seaman time.
[/B]
(7) Engine rating of E-4 and above with qualifications as EWO is equivalent to licensed assistant engineer time.

Note: The above are only guidelines. Applicants furnishing time as a petty officer in charge of a navigational watch should have that time counted towards a licensed officer.[/I]

I have bold-faced the relevant portions if yer looking for Deck. I may have retired over two years ago but I’d be MIGHTY surprised if you as a BM3 were sporting a full-on Underway OOD letter (DWO). If that’s the case then yes, IAW item (5) you’d able to crossdeck yer Navy time to that of Licensed Mate.
Nothing’s hard and fast but IMHO, Items (3) and MAYBE (6) would be more what yer looking for.

In the event I am FOS and you DO sport the OOD U/W make sure it’s on [B]Command Letterhead[/B], signed by yer [B]Commanding Officer[/B] or it will carry no weight with anyone.

Good luck

[quote=Jolly Tar;7622]Here is the exact wording:

[I]Enlisted Personnel Applying For Licenses. Evaluation of sea service is more complex for enlisted personnel than it is for officers. This is due to the great variety of specialized duties that enlisted personnel perform. When evaluating underway sea service, use the following guidelines:[/I]

I[B] Service as a seaman apprentice (SA) or seaman (SN) is equivalent to sea service as an ordinary seaman or deckhand;[/B][/I]

I Service as fireman apprentice (FA) or fireman (FN) is equivalent to sea service as a wiper or coal passer;[/I]

I [B]Service as a petty officer in the deck department is considered equivalent to that of an AB; and[/B][/I]

I Service as a petty officer in the engineering department is considered equivalent to that of a QMED.[/I]

I [B]Deck rating of E-4 and above with qualifications as DWO is equivalent to licensed mate time.[/B][/I]

I [B]Service experience obtained as a junior officer of the deck (JOOD) is considered equivalent (on a one-for-one basis) to able seaman time.[/B][/I]

I Engine rating of E-4 and above with qualifications as EWO is equivalent to licensed assistant engineer time.[/I]

[I]Note: The above are only guidelines. Applicants furnishing time as a petty officer in charge of a navigational watch should have that time counted towards a licensed officer.[/I]

I have bold-faced the relevant portions if yer looking for Deck. I may have retired over two years ago but I’d be MIGHTY surprised if you as a BM3 were sporting a full-on Underway OOD letter (DWO). If that’s the case then yes, IAW item (5) you’d able to crossdeck yer Navy time to that of Licensed Mate.
Nothing’s hard and fast but IMHO, Items (3) and MAYBE (6) would be more what yer looking for.

In the event I am FOS and you DO sport the OOD U/W make sure it’s on [B]Command Letterhead[/B], signed by yer [B]Commanding Officer[/B] or it will carry no weight with anyone.

Good luck[/quote]

Thanks you guys…I finally found it as well…
I was a QM 2 standing QMOW but definately not OOD…

I’m going to work this into part of a job pitch, to a perspective employer…I just needed the correct wording and reference number so I can back it up…

What about O’s who didn’t go to the Academy (I went to OCS) but have qualified OOD?

I am a member of living history group portraying the navy of the american civil war period and we are doing a mock court martial for an event we are attending. The person is being charged with this offences