Navigating the bureacracy (Original License Question)

Ok, I know this question has been mentioned a million times before, but my google-fu has failed me. Sorry.

Quick background on me. Former helicopter pilot and officer in USN. Just had the bright idea to try my hand at the USMM thing. I love the sea, the lifestyle, and need a change. Really, it seems like I’m trading one bureacracy for another… but at least its an unknown.

2 Quick questions regarding Sea Time and STCW:

1. My 18 months as a DWO should suffice for my 36 month (1080 day requirement) for an original third mate correct? I don’t fall under the 60% rule because my DWO time is counted day for day, correct?

2. Does the fact that I have a “mate equivalent” (US Navy Officer of the Deck Qual) relieve me of any of the STCW or the OICNW requirements?

Thanks for providing a great site, and giving great feedback. Hopefully, I’ll see you guys on the other side, with my beard and shaggy hair.

[QUOTE=FlyNavy;46671]…1) My 18 months as a DWO should suffice for my 36 month (1080 day requirement) for an original third mate correct? I don’t fall under the 60% rule because my DWO time is counted day for day, correct?[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure how you get 18 months equals 36 months. 18 months as DWO won’t “suffice” but it can be used to meet the requirement. All Navy time is subject to the 60% adjustment, including DWO. It has nothing to do with the duties you performed, it’s based on Navy ships being underway less than commercial vessels. If you can document that your ships were underway more than that, additional credit can be given. Note also that it doe NOT mean that Navy time is discounted by 60%, it actually provides that 60% of the time is assumed to be underway and gets day for day credit. The remaining 40% is credited at1 for 3, so you get more than 60%, for example, for 100 days on a Navy ship, 60% is counted day for day, and the remaining 40 at 1 for 3 for a total of 73 days credit.

[QUOTE=FlyNavy;46671] …2) Does the fact that I have a “mate equivalent” (US Navy Officer of the Deck Qual) relieve me of any of the STCW or the OICNW requirements [/QUOTE]

No.

Sorry… I did a poor job of reading.

jdcavo, I misread the 18 month thing from the MSM “requirements for an original or raise of grade of a mate or assistant engineer license. For an original third’s license, up to eighteen months service as DWO/EWO may be substituted for up to 36 months of unlicensed service.”

Thanks for the response. I guess I don’t even meet the sea time, then unless they count the days I was on a ship, flying a helo.
Is that 1 for 3 thing a guarantee… I don’t remember reading that anywhere, but that might get me to enough days to meet the requirement.

However, Thanks for all the help. At least I know what I’m up against.