Muster taker training

Has anyone sent their crews to OPITIOapproved “Offshore Muster Checker” or “Offshore Muster Coordinator” training? How about STCW A-V/2 Crowd Management school? Any suggestions on a good school to try?

I’m one a new drillship looking to get these guys some training. I’ve always used Asst Drillers or Storekeepers for this job but thinking about changing that up too.

[QUOTE=Orniphobe;108369]Has anyone sent their crews to OPITIOapproved “Offshore Muster Checker” or “Offshore Muster Coordinator” training? How about STCW A-V/2 Crowd Management school? Any suggestions on a good school to try?

I’m one a new drillship looking to get these guys some training. I’ve always used Asst Drillers or Storekeepers for this job but thinking about changing that up too.[/QUOTE]

We use our off tour DPOs and ADPOs for muster taking. If they dont show in time, then an AD will usually step in and take over. Haven’t heard of this requirement yet. I would think it would be a waste of time and company money to send them to a class, when the training can be done onboard.

Agree that it would be a waste of time. We use ADs and afterward have a de-brief on the bridge with the muster takers. It doesn’t take long asking questions in the de-brief before the musters are organized, quite and quick. We have lots of ADs, who fill supervisor roles. So they are excellent at handling the crews.

[QUOTE=Orniphobe;108369]Has anyone sent their crews to OPITIOapproved “Offshore Muster Checker” or “Offshore Muster Coordinator” training? How about STCW A-V/2 Crowd Management school? Any suggestions on a good school to try?

I’m one a new drillship looking to get these guys some training. I’ve always used Asst Drillers or Storekeepers for this job but thinking about changing that up too.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t waste my time sending them to a Muster Taker course. What I would do is send the people that you want to do this to MEM, Major Emergency Management. I know it probably isn’t on their Matrix, but it will open their eyes to a different perspective of emergency management. Full Muster being an important part of any drill or emergency. I sent some guys to this that were lower level, AD’s electricians, safety officers, and some others. Everyone of them now looks at drill day in a different light. Including myself. I am sure you know, but Falck Alford and Petrofac both offer this training in Houston. I took it at Falck Alford and would recommend all levels of rig personnel to take this course. From roustabout to OIM.

Is there any course for Oklahama or is it only available for texas. If only in Texas, then is there other course available other than Houston?