MMC pulled for a year. Work again?

Back in the early 90’s I had to take a Company Physical and didn’t even think before eating two poppy seed bagels the day before. I told the Doctor doing the physical and drug screen about what I had done and how many I ate. He said “Thanks, we can tell the difference as long as we know what to look for”. Whether he was B.S.ing or not, I passed. To this day I still think about it every time I have one of those mouth watering bagels. Retirement is a GREAT thing!

2 Likes

Whenever I have been tested it has been for cannabinoids, not THC. I’m not an organic chemist, but I have doubts as to whether the tests can tell the difference between THC and CBD. They are very similar molecules. Only one Hydrogen moved to a difference place.

CBD
TCH

2 Likes

I think one or two Navy aviators who were poppy seed bagel aficionados brought attention to the problem. I am a Bronx native (till my early teens) and giving those up was not fun but had to be done!

Man, I had an ex-gf that was of Czech heritage. Her family made this poppy seed jelly roll type thing that was AMAZING… only had it once, that first time, but geez I still crave those. Soooooo good, but sooooooooo certain to pop on a drug screen. :confused:

I failed a pre employment drug test with a positive marijuana result, told I have to wait 6 months. Will this destroy my chances of joining?

I may not know a bagel from a hole in a bun, but isn’t sesame just as nice? Rich flavour and harder to see when they get stuck in your teeth.

1 Like

If it’s preemployment and you know (Or think you might) test positive, why risk taking it?

Wait 6 months for what? Do you already have an MMC, and were the results reported to the Coast Guard?

Application was rescinded. I have my MMC still but the MSC called said I have to reapply in 6 months

When did this happen? The employer should have reported it to the Coast Guard. If not, you may want to voluntarily report it to the Coast Guard and make things a little easier on yourself. A show of good faith and taking responsibility for your mistake.

There should be no way you can hang onto your MMC while you are in the penalty box so to speak.

Unless your MMC has been suspended, it is valid until its expiration date. Do you know if the failure was reported to the Coast Guard? Unlike a random test for vessel crews, a pre-employment test does not need to be reported to the Coast Guard. However, many, possibly most, employers use their random testing service to conduct the pre-employment tests, and the failures are often reported.

You will certainly need to disclose the positive test when you next apply for renewal of for an upgrade of your MMC. At that time, you can expect enhanced scrutiny, see 46 CFR 10.211, relevant parts excerpted as follows:

(f) …No person who has ever been the user of, or addicted to the use of a dangerous drug… is eligible for an MMC, unless he or she furnishes satisfactory evidence of suitability for service in the merchant marine as provided in paragraph (l) of this section.
(l) If an applicant …has ever been the user of, or addicted to the use of, a dangerous drug… the Coast Guard may consider the following factors, as applicable, in assessing the applicant’s suitability to hold an MMC. This list is intended as a guide for the Coast Guard. The Coast Guard may consider other factors appropriate to a particular applicant, such as:
(1) Proof of completion of an accredited alcohol or drug abuse rehabilitation program;
(2) Active membership in a rehabilitation or counseling group, such as Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous;
(3) Character references from persons who can attest to the applicant’s sobriety, reliability, and suitability for employment in the merchant marine including parole or probation officers;
(4) Steady employment; and
(5) Successful completion of all conditions of parole or probation.

Considering the enhanced scrutiny, DamnYankee’s recommendation to show good faith and voluntarily reporting is good advice. Consider meeting and providing evidence of those items noted above when you do, or at least start meeting them as you will certainly need to do so when you renew/upgrade.

I just received a call from the office or lab that ran the drug test saying I tested positive and recieved a call from the MSC office shortly saying “the MSC canceled your physical coming up and your application has been rescinded. You can apply again In 6 months”.

1 Like

No call from the MRO (Medical Review Officer)?

I believe he was the first to call me about my test results

Please tell me you aren’t using your real name as a user name and admitting to having failed a drug test online.

Hahaha! Just my first name

I just went through the same thing. Did you reapply? How did it go? Everything you could tell me would be helpful.