Misle

Looking at the checklist for 3rd Mate ,in the section for sea service letters & discharges …Next to that in brackets, it says ( MUST verify vessels in MISLE)

I looked up what I could on the MISLE system but am curious as to what NMC is looking for, in respect to an application…anyone know?
Tonnage and routes would be a given, anything else?

[QUOTE=Shellback;24728]Looking at the checklist for 3rd Mate ,in the section for sea service letters & discharges …Next to that in brackets, it says ( MUST verify vessels in MISLE)

I looked up what I could on the MISLE system but am curious as to what NMC is looking for, in respect to an application…anyone know?
Tonnage and routes would be a given, anything else?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MISLE[/QUOTE]

I always thought it stood for:
Mostly
I
Seem
Less
Enthusiastic

[I][quote=Shellback;24728]Looking at the checklist for 3rd Mate ,in the section for sea service letters & discharges …Next to that in brackets, it says ( MUST verify vessels in MISLE)[/I]

[I]I looked up what I could on the MISLE system but am curious as to what NMC is looking for, in respect to an application…anyone know?[/I]
[I]Tonnage and routes would be a given, anything else?[/quote][/I]

MISLE includes data on all U.S. flag and most foreign flag vessels. They are looking for the tonnage and/or horsepower of the vessels a mariner jhas sea service on. Depending on the circumstances, they may also be checking the vessel’s COI to confirm the type of vessel or its manning.

[quote=jdcavo;24744]

MISLE includes data on all U.S. flag and most foreign flag vessels. They are looking for the tonnage and/or horsepower of the vessels a mariner jhas sea service on. Depending on the circumstances, they may also be checking the vessel’s COI to confirm the type of vessel or its manning.[/quote]

JD, when a vessel, such as a Navy ship is decommisioned, does the vessels information remain on the rosters of MISLE?.

If so, do you know for how long?

If not, what can a person do to insure they get the proper sea time for an upgrade?

Will a sea transcript suffice? It has for the lower levels , will it for the higher levels as well?

Thank you

It’s my experience that once you turn in sea service to the CG it gets approved, and stays approved, for the rest of your career.

Thanks Seadog, that was my impression too, but then while researching this I saw where they wanted the evaluators to enter all the seatime on spread sheets etc…So that got me to wondering if indeed it’s already on a spread sheet with an applicants name already on it or not…With the consolidation of records from the REC’s to NMC ,it makes me wonder…

I recently upgraded and my seatime from 20 years ago aboard vessels that have sunk, burned or been scrapped was never questioned, so I guess it’s already on a form somewhere.

I can see where they might check their math over the years but owners and captains die, companies go out of business etc… how can they possibly re-check every day you’ve accumulated over a lifetime?

[quote=seadog!;24778]I recently upgraded and my seatime from 20 years ago aboard vessels that have sunk, burned or been scrapped was never questioned, so I guess it’s already on a form somewhere.

I can see where they might check their math over the years but owners and captains die, companies go out of business etc… how can they possibly re-check every day you’ve accumulated over a lifetime?[/quote]

Excellent point…I was doing some more looking around and ran across this passage ,which supports your original response…

Marine Safety manual Vol III Chapter 2, page 2-15 paragraph 2.
Service is evaluated sequentially in the order obtained over the course of a career…

My last post could be mis-leading… One boat I sailed on later burned and sank, another has since been scraped. The seatime for these vessels was submitted while they were both still around. If the CG were to try to verify my service today, for seatime submitted to them 20 years ago, it would be impossible. I’m not putting in new letters today claiming that time.

When I applied on my initial seatime application, I xeroxed pages out of Janes Fighting Ships book to document the size/tonnage of the Navy vessels. Since entering the merchant navy I’ve included copies of the ship document.

[QUOTE=Jeffrox;24813]When I applied on my initial seatime application, I xeroxed pages out of Janes Fighting Ships book to document the size/tonnage of the Navy vessels. Since entering the merchant navy I’ve included copies of the ship document.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jeff, I saw Janes was specifically mentioned in the MSM for that very reason…

I don’t beleive Navy ships are in MISLE. Evaluators use other resources like Jane’s to ascertain info about Navy vessels.

Also, the “MMLD” database that NMC uses tracks sea service information from certificates of discharge. If you have a discharge certificate from 1980 or later, it’s prtobably in MMLD. That’s what happens with the compl;eted discharge books after they are sent to the Coast Guard.