Mariner Pay 2023

Thanks, I’m looking forward to it. Harvey did mention the possibility of a 28/28 schedule, but it seemed like 28/14 was more common/expected.

Keep not thinking so. A tanker, 100 tankers, every tanker in the world…doesn’t matter how many, you’d still say the same BS.

He’s a MEBA engineer who bitches about OSG, so yes he’s worked in the dungeon on a tanker.

2 Likes

Unfortunately at our current Mariner shortage there is a large drawback. I was working at a job i liked and was ok with it paying on the low side. What happened is I got the absolute dregs of society for deckhands that made my life miserable. I finally had enough and applied for a much higher paying job I wasn’t to keen on but being surrounded by much higher quality people has made life so much more pleasant.

4 Likes

Plus, MM&P education benefit…can’t beat MITAGS for training. Room and board all included, just call and tell them you are a trust student and book your class. Great deal.

(MM&P UIG, right?)

3 Likes

Yes it’s MMP UIG or Offshore. Another reason the job was appealing. I will definitely be using that benefit.

I could see that being frustrating. The plus side of shortage is the ability to find what best suits you.

Only fans and feet finder: 350k a month.

2 Likes

I am definitely getting old…my first thought on reading that was, “An engineer that works on vent fans and the depth sounder??? Oh, wait a sec…”

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

MITAGS is great… if you’re working on unlimited tonnage-related classes. Now, being fair, my experience is 10+ years out-of-date, but for limited tonnage and AB-to-mate level-classes, YMMV. While I was a trust student, many classmates were not, and it was a matter of Russian roulette when it came to the quality of the instructors. Would we get one of the fantastic educators who were also experienced mariners? Or would we get Captain Master Doctor Lord Thurston Howell III, some burnout fogey who ran an SL-7 30 years ago and was pissed off about a bunch of uppity white trash towboaters being allowed in his precious officer’s school?

5 Likes

Hornbeck just gave out raises and is trying to hire for 6 boats.

1 Like

I am hearing from several reliable sources big pay increase at HOS, +40% or so.
That would put them squarely as the highest paying company in the GOM currently.
Anyone care to share the exact rates?

1 Like

Does anyone know what the pay is like on the TXDOT Galveston ferries?

1 Like

It isn’t that much. About $50 a day increase. Some more and some less.

1 Like

Re TXDoT ferries … All of those pay rates are public record. I just looked up the captain pay, and the median is $59,060 for “Captain 1” presumably there are some classifications higher than that.

https://salaries.texastribune.org/departments/texas-department-of-transportation/positions/ferryboat-captain-i/

Here all “ferryboat” positions: https://salaries.texastribune.org/search/?q=Ferryboat

1 Like

Interesting, thanks.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see if the pay raises are as significant as rumored. Then, how many will jump ship from their present companies chasing that dollar. HOS is buying boats, and needs to crew them up.

Crazy to see these companies that filed bankruptcy, screwed their investers, and got delisted from the stock exchange up and running like nothing ever happened. Wish i could do that.

1 Like

AHTS Chief Mate
80k$ a year
28/28 rotation

Shit is sad, Norwegian krone is a garbage currency at the moment. 10 years ago my pay would have been 160k$.

2 Likes

Was sent to me today.

2 Likes