Manning requirements question

I don’t want to sound stupid, But not asking a question can be stupid too. What do these manning requirement represent when it is stated in Southeast Asia?

<500 GT I know this means under 500 gross tons

What do these symbols below mean? II/2, III/4 etc.

Master II/2 II/3
Chief Mate II/2 II/3
2nd Mate II/1 II/1
3rd Mate II/1 II/1

Chief Engineer III/2 III/3
2nd Engineer III/2 III/3
3rd Engineer III/1 III/1
4th Engineer III/1 III/1

A/B II/4 II/4
Oiler III/4 III/4

Those “symbols” represent sections of the STCW code. I don’t know which ones are which off the top of my head but at least you know where to look.

<table border=“0” cellpadding=“3” cellspacing=“0” width=“100%”><tbody><tr class=“listItem”><td colspan=“2” bgcolor=“black”>
</td> </tr> <tr class=“listItem” id=“listOdd”> <td valign=“top”>
Here is a couple of them

Regulations</td> <td> II/3: Master, Mates (Under 500 Gross Tons)
II/4: Any Able Seaman and Specially Trained O.S.
VI/1: Basic Safety Training and Familiarization
VI/2: Proficient in the use of survival craft, rescue boats and fast rescue boats</td></tr></tbody></table>

abarr,

[B][U]IMHO[/U][/B]…click here: http://www.mptusa.com/stcw/stcw_comparison_chart.html

These STCW codes are a world wide license, endorsement and qualification system. Your post mentions ‘Southeast Asia’ so I assume you are not from the USA. Until recently, our license codes, phrases and terms were USA; US Coast Guard specific, with our own set of labels and meanings. The IMO has been trying to get a unified, world wide program of licensing, to make it easier for EVERY mariner to be vetted, or queried from anywhere, by any one, to make sure our qualifications meet the requirements of whatever country we are in at the time. If you ask some mariners from the Philipines, or Russia, or the USA they would all have these same ‘codes’ on their documents. A unified system, world wide!

[QUOTE=abarr;47986]I don’t want to sound stupid, But not asking a question can be stupid too. What do these manning requirement represent when it is stated in Southeast Asia?

<500 GT I know this means under 500 gross tons

What do these symbols below mean? II/2, III/4 etc.

Master II/2 II/3
Chief Mate II/2 II/3
2nd Mate II/1 II/1
3rd Mate II/1 II/1

Chief Engineer III/2 III/3
2nd Engineer III/2 III/3
3rd Engineer III/1 III/1
4th Engineer III/1 III/1

A/B II/4 II/4
Oiler III/4 III/4[/QUOTE]

“GT” is gross tons ITC, and “GRT” is gross registered tons. There’s no duirect correlation, but for licensing purposes we consider 200 GRT to be equal to 500 GT, and 1600 GRT to be equal; to 3000 GT.

ii/1 Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch 500 GT or more (OICNW)
II/2 Master/Chief Mate 500 GT or more
II/3 Master/Chief Mate and OICNW Near Coastal
II/4 Rating Forming Part of a Navigational Watch (RFPNW)

III/1 Officer in Charge of an Engineering Watch (OICEW) 750 kw (1000 HP) or more
III/2 Chief Engineer and Second Engineer (First Assistant Engineer)
III/3 Chief Engineer and Second Engineer (First Assistant Engineer) and OICEW Near Coastal
III/4 Rating Forming Part of a Engineering Watch (RFPEW)

Thanks a lot for the clarification, this was very helpful.