Let's tow an iceberg!

Check this out.

A long time ago in a cold and nasty part of the world when cod was king…

I was on the Discoverer Seven Seas off Labrador doing exploratory drilling to see if there was enough oil in the area to develop and icebergs were a real threat. We carried an ice monitoring team that continuously plotted the tracks of all icebergs within sight and a pair of tugs were standing by to tow any berg that appeared to be on a collision course.

While I was there they towed a couple of them, just diverted them really, they couldn’t tow fast enough to really call it moving them any great distance. It is probably a well developed procedure now but then it was new and unproven. We never had a “drive off” due to bergs though it was close a few times. I can’t imagine towing one to the Middle East.

“Icebergs? Sounds like a great way to blow a million dollars Monty!”

(Did anyone else see the movie Brewster’s Millions?)

The main investment that Monty makes is in the exciting world of iceberg futures. The poor man’s Egon Spengler has a bright idea to stick diesel engines in icebergs and drive them to the Middle East in an attempt to cut down the price of ice water.

the stock went up after they sold the company

[QUOTE=john;50594]“Icebergs? Sounds like a great way to blow a million dollars Monty!”

(Did anyone else see the movie Brewster’s Millions?)[/QUOTE]

First thing I thought of.

[QUOTE=Steamer;50584]A long time ago in a cold and nasty part of the world when cod was king…

I was on the Discoverer Seven Seas off Labrador doing exploratory drilling to see if there was enough oil in the area to develop and icebergs were a real threat. We carried an ice monitoring team that continuously plotted the tracks of all icebergs within sight and a pair of tugs were standing by to tow any berg that appeared to be on a collision course.

While I was there they towed a couple of them, just diverted them really, they couldn’t tow fast enough to really call it moving them any great distance. It is probably a well developed procedure now but then it was new and unproven. We never had a “drive off” due to bergs though it was close a few times. I can’t imagine towing one to the Middle East.[/QUOTE]

That was in 1970. I believe the supply boats with A-frames were the Jennifer D and Cay W. We were there doing sub-bottom profile there at the same time. Cartwright was an exotic port!!LOL!

[QUOTE=injunear;50663]That was in 1970.[/QUOTE]

It wasn’t THAT long ago … if what remains of my memory serves correctly it must have been in the late 70s or very early 80s. It was interesting work in any event, we were drilling in deep water, just under a mile deep. I was driving the sub that did the site survey, rentries, and daily riser inspections. It was a cold 90 minute trip to the bottom. We also did the wet diving and I will never forget riding the slip joint while pulling tensioner cables in rough weather.

In '70, the drillship was one of the Storm drillships, either the TYPHOON or CYCLONE. Shallow water (by todays standard) with an anchor spread. The first bergy bit they tried to move broke in half and they had two to fool with.

I am an AB on the MV Jim Kilabuk out of st johns Newfoundland we do a lot of ice management for oil companies on the west coast of Greenland and here in Canada.

Hello iceberg towers!
I’m a filmmaker and sailor. I am looking for footage of towing an iceberg. Authentic stuff from the 60’s, 70’s 80’s etc… Does anyone know where I can find some, or does anyone have any that they shot?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ben